Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I'm trying to connect my new Pavilion p7-1240 to my HDTV but do not have a HDMI port on my new computer. Having done a bit of research I'm getting mixed signals as to whether or not a DVI to HDMI cable will carry the audio. I just called Radio Shack and they're salesman tells me that the AVIO HDMI to DVI Cable does carry the audio. However other research is saying it does not.

I would appreciate another opinion if please. One salesman's misguidance a week is enough. Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. DVI standard only carries video, HDMI standard carries both video & audio.
2. DVI to HDMI converter/adapter (no need to convert) carries only video.
3. You need a cable to carry audio from your laptop to your TV. They may sell a combined adapter but this must come out from 2 ports on your laptop: DVI port for video and headphones or line out port for audio.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. DVI standard only carries video, HDMI standard carries both video & audio.
2. DVI to HDMI converter/adapter (no need to convert) carries only video.
3. You need a cable to carry audio from your laptop to your TV. They may sell a combined adapter but this must come out from 2 ports on your laptop: DVI port for video and headphones or line out port for audio.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion p7-1240 Desktop Computer. According to the specs, it has a DVI-D (digital) output and a VGA (analog) output. It appears you would like to connect your computer to your HDTV via a HDMI-to-DVI cable/adapter. According to the specs / user guide for the AUVIO HDMI-to-DVI cable,

Audio signal transfer is typically not supported, unless used with a DVI graphics card that supports Digital Audio output. You may need a separate set of connections for audio signal transfer.

Since the DVI specification does not support audio transport, an interoperability problem arises whe...

Your choices basically come down to;

1) Use the optical S/PDIF on your computer to pass digital audio to the TV, provided the TV has an optical S/PDIF input and allows it to be mapped to the correct video source.

2) Use the speaker jack on the computer to pass analog audio to the TV, provided the TV has RCA audio input jacks and allows it to be mapped to the correct video source.

3) Determine that the DVI-D port on your computer supports digital audio output and use the HDMI-to-DVI cable for both audio and video

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

I bought a Pavilion Desktop AMD A8-6410 with the DVI port. I have it connected to a Sharp 1080p HDTV. I did not receive and documantation with the computer.

Does it support the Audio HDMI-to-DVI cable?  If so, do you know where to order the cable?

I am using an DVI to HDMI adapter at the moment. I tried to use a 3mm audio sterio jack to BNC pair (red and white) but the TV still doesn't have sound.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.