Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite PHE 450t PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My desktop has developed a problem in which it shuts down 10-15 minutes from a cold boot start.

I have a Pavilion Elite HPE 450t running Windows 7 64.  I tried the dusting and open box but it keeps happenings.

In addition, the fan on my video board, a 1G NVIDIA GeForce315 is making noise.

I have 2 questions:

1 ¿ Is this fan a repairable item, or do I need to replace the whole thing?

2 ¿ How can I check the power supply to see if it is not part of the problem?

¿ Are there voltages I can measure to see if its OK?

My query about the power supply is that I run a couple of terabyte drives off of the desktop and I'm wondering if I'm loading down the power.

I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc.  Thanks in advance.  I appreciate you folk being here to help this old guy.

Leon R.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

It appears to be a possible thermal problem with the graphics card fan.

Is the graphics card fan running? Remove the side panel to check. Yes, you can remove the side panel while the system is on.

Don't touch any internals. Just inspect.

The Geforce 315 is a legacy card. I have never replaced graphics card fans but I guess it is possible.

A power supply problem is always a possibility.

The most reliable way to eliminate the power supply is to temporarily connect a known good power supply to the system.

Was the system stable prior to the fan noise and possible thermal issue? That should eliminate a power supply issue.

You can replace the graphics card. Your PC has many options which were available at purchase.

Please see here. Select "Hardware Options", then scroll to "Graphics".

Cheers!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

It appears to be a possible thermal problem with the graphics card fan.

Is the graphics card fan running? Remove the side panel to check. Yes, you can remove the side panel while the system is on.

Don't touch any internals. Just inspect.

The Geforce 315 is a legacy card. I have never replaced graphics card fans but I guess it is possible.

A power supply problem is always a possibility.

The most reliable way to eliminate the power supply is to temporarily connect a known good power supply to the system.

Was the system stable prior to the fan noise and possible thermal issue? That should eliminate a power supply issue.

You can replace the graphics card. Your PC has many options which were available at purchase.

Please see here. Select "Hardware Options", then scroll to "Graphics".

Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.