Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite HPE 450t PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion Elite HPE 450t PC and a few months ago it stopped accepting automatic downloads of Microsoft updates.

I tried using the tools Microsoft has to no avail.

Sometime after, my security software Norton Security suite went failed and wouldn't reload.  Norton failed to come up with a solutions.  I'm assuming this has to do something with the large backlog of unloaded updates.

? Is it possible to load windows 10 over win 7?  

I've had my PC tested for root kits, viruses, and it keeps coming up clean, but the upgrades are still not loading.

I'd sincerely appreciate any help you folk can provide.  Thanks in advance

Leon R.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @LROSZKOW,

I hope you find your Support Forum experience a positive one! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you have been having trouble with Windows updates, and wish to know if you can upgrade to Windows 10. I am happy to help with this.

Reading through the issues you have described, in your current system state you cannot upgrade to Windows 10, using the normal free upgrade method. Your system would have had to have the option available from a previous Windows update, as the free upgrade is delivered via Windows update. If you have a Windows 7, or 8.1 product key then you could do a clean installation of Windows 10 and use that key to activate your free Windows 10 entitlement. Of course you would want to make a backup of your data first.

Another option would be to try loading the desktop's factory image, and then try updating it again to using Windows Update. That assumes that you have a working recovery partition, or recovery media. HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)  But to protect your data you would want to make a backup first as I mentioned.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi there @LROSZKOW,

I hope you find your Support Forum experience a positive one! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you have been having trouble with Windows updates, and wish to know if you can upgrade to Windows 10. I am happy to help with this.

Reading through the issues you have described, in your current system state you cannot upgrade to Windows 10, using the normal free upgrade method. Your system would have had to have the option available from a previous Windows update, as the free upgrade is delivered via Windows update. If you have a Windows 7, or 8.1 product key then you could do a clean installation of Windows 10 and use that key to activate your free Windows 10 entitlement. Of course you would want to make a backup of your data first.

Another option would be to try loading the desktop's factory image, and then try updating it again to using Windows Update. That assumes that you have a working recovery partition, or recovery media. HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)  But to protect your data you would want to make a backup first as I mentioned.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

#1  THANKS for the prompt reply.  I really appreciate it.

I do have the long key number affixed to back of my desktop tower.

? IS that the key you're talking about?

If yes, how do I use it to get the update.  I've backed up all of my data to an aux drive recently so I'll ready and willing, I'm just short on know how.

If not, can i find the key somewhere in the system manager

I don't have the the original factory image disk, so that alternative is No good.

Please let me about the key and if it works I'll be glad to hit Kudos and accept the solution

Leon Roszkow

HP Recommended

You wrote, "If you have a Windows 7, or 8.1 product key then you could do a clean installation of Windows 10 and use that key to activate your free Windows 10 entitlement."  

Do I download from Microsoft and enter the product key I have on the back of my HP?

Sorry to repeat myself, but I'm an old guy, who's trying to keep up. 

I appreciate whatever help you can provide.

Leon R.

HP Recommended

Yes if you have a valid Windows 7, 8.1 (or of course a Windows 10 key), you can download Windows 10 from Microsoft and install it, and use that existing key to authorize Windows 10.  On its original release you would have to upgrade from an existing Windows 7 or 8.1 installation to claim the free upgrade, but late last year the process was changed to allow for a clean installation of Windows 10 using a valid key, for Windows 7 or 8.1.

So if that product key you referred to is for Windows 7 or 8.1, you should be good to go.

If you need to get the Windows 10 software itself, you can use: Get Windows 10  - www.microsoft.com. You can read that page to download Window 10 and make a USB flash drive or DVD that you can use to install with.

I hope that helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.