Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq EVO D300V
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I need a diagram for the conexionts between the motherboard and HD and CD drive, I am totally confused in how to connect in how to do it, I have tried different combinations and no luck. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@exsls

There's  no connection diagram I could find for your PC.

Your PC came with something known as an IDE connection.  This is a wide, narrow connector on the motherboard that has lots of small pins in it.

You should have an IDE connector cable which has a single connector at one end, and two other connectors.  The single connector plugs into the IDE jack on the motherboard.  It has a tab on one side that slides into a slot on the motherboard jack.

The other two connectors plug (1) into the hard drive, and  (2) into the CD/DVD drive.  Again, there are tabs on these connectors and slots on the receiving jacks on the hard drive and CD drive so you can't plug the cable in wrong.

Also, with IDE cables, you have to worry about master/slave jumper settings.  One device has to be the "master" and the other the "slave".  The devices usually have diagrams on them to show where to put the jumpers on each of the devices.  It's best, with only one cable, to have the HD as the master and the CD drive as the slave.

Don't forget to plug power cables from the power supply into the HD and the CD drive.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Motherboard has 3 IDE connectors, #1 marked PRI-IDE, #2 SEC-IDE and #3 Floppy. The IDE connector cable with a single connector at one end and two other connectores, should be connected to PRI-IDE or SEC-IDE? The connector in the middle connected to the HD and the one on the end to the CD drive? If I want to install a second CD drive, should I go from SEC-IDE to the second cd drive with a "single" IDE connector meaning just one connector on each end? I did not move the jumpers and basically I am using the same HD and CD drives. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Just a follow up on my previous reply: HD and 2 CD drives the jumpers are set at cable select, should I changed them to master and slave accordingly? HD to master and CD drives to Slave? If a leave them all Cable Select, will the PC recognize them?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.