Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

I bought a used PC (sold first time 2013-02-14) vith only 8GB Ram (4x2GB), so I would like to replace two of those 2GB ram modules with two 8GB modules but when i read the manual it says I quote: " To achieve the maximum memory support, you can populate the system board with up to 16-GB of memory configured in a high-performing dual channel mode."

Gan somebody explaine what this means in my case ?

Thanks in advance

Asger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The quickspecs are updated where the reference manual was not.

Mine said the same thing...16 GB was max, but the updated quickspecs stated 32.  No changes to the hardware.

Look at it this way...it would make absolutely no sense that my older 8200 Elite model from 2011 has more memory capability than the 8300 Elite.

They are like cars...they add more features each year, not less.  The 8300 Elite added USB3 ports.  The 8200 Elite does not have USB3 ports.  The 8300 elite runs 3rd generation core processors/memory at 1600 MHz.  The 8200 Elite runs 2nd generation core processors/memory at 1333 MHz.

All I can tell you is that it will take 4 x 8 GB of memory like mine did.

Just make sure you get compatible PC3-12800 memory.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the 8300 Elite quickspecs.

Memory upgrade info can be found on page 9.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx%2Fc04128234.pdf

You can install 4 x 8 GB of DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) memory.

I have the 8200 Elite and am running 32 GB of memory in my PC

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Thanks for your answer.
The quickspec you linked to is from 2014, my PC is older, the 3 years warranty expired 14 feb, 2016. The processor is a Intel i5-3570 from 2q-2012 and it came with windows 8 downgradable to windows 7, so I guess the model is made sometime late 2012.
The "Hardware Reference Guide" I get when I type ine my serial number say and i quote:

Installing Additional Memory

The computer comes with double data rate 3 synchronous dynamic random access memory (DDR3- SDRAM) dual inline memory modules (DIMMs).

DIMMs

The memory sockets on the system board can be populated with up to four industry-standard DIMMs. These memory sockets are populated with at least one preinstalled DIMM. To achieve the maximum memory support, you can populate the system board with up to 16-GB of memory configured in a high-performing dual channel mode.

**End Quote**

But it also mention a sparepart DIMM containing 8GB, whick confuses me a bit. If max RAM was 16 I would expect 4x4GB as the max configuration, but thats just my twisted logic.

At the moment the PC have 4x2GB DIMMs and I would like to replace two of those with two 8GB DIMMs and my question is can that work in my model.

Thanks again

Best regards

Asger

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The quickspecs are updated where the reference manual was not.

Mine said the same thing...16 GB was max, but the updated quickspecs stated 32.  No changes to the hardware.

Look at it this way...it would make absolutely no sense that my older 8200 Elite model from 2011 has more memory capability than the 8300 Elite.

They are like cars...they add more features each year, not less.  The 8300 Elite added USB3 ports.  The 8200 Elite does not have USB3 ports.  The 8300 elite runs 3rd generation core processors/memory at 1600 MHz.  The 8200 Elite runs 2nd generation core processors/memory at 1333 MHz.

All I can tell you is that it will take 4 x 8 GB of memory like mine did.

Just make sure you get compatible PC3-12800 memory.

HP Recommended

Ok I believe you. :generic:
I have just run the memoryscanner from Crucial and it say: Maximum memory: 32,786MB

So I have ordered 2 x Kingston

8GB Module - DDR3 1600MHz
Part Number: KCP316ND8/8
Specs: DDR3 , 1600MHz , Non-ECC , CL11 , X8 , 1.5V , Unbuffered , DIMM , 240-pin

Thank you very much for your help
Best regards
Asger

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please post back and let us know how your memory upgrade went.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Everything went as you prodicted, I replaced two of my 2GB dimms with two 8GB dimms

and now the computer counts 20GB ram.

Thanks again

Best regards

Asger

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Asger.

That is great news!

Best Regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.