Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy Phoenix 810-430qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Would like to add a Samsung 850 EVO Pro SSD (500 or 256 GB) SATA III 3.0 Gb/s.   What is the SATA type or designation of my system and will it support the SSD?  Just want to make sure before I buy the SSD.  Is this a worthwhile upgrade for improving performance?

- Envy Phoenix 810-430qe

- Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz

- Windows 10, 64 bit

- Motherboard MSI 2B36

Thanks so much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

At the very least, the boot drive sata port is SATA III (6.0 GB/S).

Probably all 4 ports are SATA III.

Installing a SSD is a very worthwhile upgrade.

You will need to purchase some kind of 3.5" to 2.5" hard drive adapter to accomodate the smaller size SSD.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

At the very least, the boot drive sata port is SATA III (6.0 GB/S).

Probably all 4 ports are SATA III.

Installing a SSD is a very worthwhile upgrade.

You will need to purchase some kind of 3.5" to 2.5" hard drive adapter to accomodate the smaller size SSD.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Paul.  Appreciate your time and expertise.

Regards 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know how your SSD upgrade went.

I think you are really going to like the increased responsiveness of a SSD over a mechanical hard drive.

HP Recommended

Will do.  

BTW, I had purchased the Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD which requires a PCI Express x 16 (Gen 3.0) slot.  I knew my motherboard had it but (shamefully) I overlooked the fact that it was occupied by the graphics card.  There is another M.2 slot but it is PCI Express x 1  (Gen 2.0) and therefore not compatible.  I procrastinated returning SSD while doing more research on the Samsung 850 EVO Pro SSD.  That, and my moping around because of my mistake, I nearly ran out of the 30 day period to return it to Amazon.  Just needed a little confidence regarding the EVO 850 Pro before ordering it.  Long story short, you gave me that confidence and immediately after getting your response I submitted my return & replacement request to Amazon and, as has been my good experience with them, I got the approval and the return label.  Because of your quick response, I beat the 30-day deadline by one day.  You saved me from my dumb mistake.

Guess I just went a long way to again say thank you very much.  You're a  real pro.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I don't have any experience with M.2 SSD's, but I have put the standard SATA III 2.5 notebook size SSD's in all of my HP desktop and notebook PC's.

What a difference. 

Even on an old HP nc6400 business notebook with a SATA I (1.5 GB/S) sata controller, it runs circles around the mechanical drive.

Got them on sale at bargain prices.

The largest ones I have a 240 GB.

For my old business notebooks, I put 120 GB drives.  Since I don't keep files on the notebooks 120 GB is plenty of space.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.