Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
xw8200 Workstation, # DU935AV
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have done a new installation of Windows 7 on my xw8200 Workstation, Model # DU935AV, and I'm having trouble finding a 32-bit Ethernet Controller driver.  I've not had any luck in reading the forum posts, although I did find a solution to the only other problem I've encountered, which was a missing audio driver.  For that one, I used the Vista Business 32-bit driver, which instantly restored the sound.  Aside from those two issues, the system seems fine with running 7, and I have internet access through the onboard ethernet port.  However, the NIC I installed for my LAN isn't recognized and I can't connect to my other machines.

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did you try the manual install method I posted?

The driver is in the NDIS5x folder, the first setup information file has the ID.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&REV_01,\

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi, Mark:

You would have to get the driver from the manufacturer of the ethernet adapter you installed.

If you no longer have the disks for the device, or remember where you got it from, please post the hardware ID for it, so I can figure out what make and model it is.

To find the hardware ID, click on the ethernet controller device needing the driver.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the ethernet controller window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list, and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

HP Recommended

Hello, Paul.

This what I have for the top string of characters:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_01.

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is a pretty old model that has no W7 drivers, but the final release Vista driver may work...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18718/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Vista-Final-Relea...

Now you can try to just run the auto install file (first one listed for 32 bit), but if that doesn't work, download and install this free file utility.  The first file on the page is for 32 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the 32 bit Intel ethernet driver you downloaded and saved.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  And let it extract the file into its folder name.

Once that is done, go to the device manager and click on the ethernet controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and hopefully the driver will install.

HP Recommended

The PROWin32 auto install file began the installation, but then stopped and displayed the message "Cannot install drivers.  No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer."

HP Recommended

Did you try the manual install method I posted?

The driver is in the NDIS5x folder, the first setup information file has the ID.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&REV_01,\

HP Recommended

How embarrassing... No, in a rush to leave for an appointment yesterday I'm afraid I didn't think to try the manual install method, as I just assumed (after several attempts with the auto) that there must be some other issue halting the install that I'd have to fix first.  So now that I've followed your instructions for the manual, I'm happy to report that the install completed and that the driver works for my NIC.  At least, I've got a LAN2 connection in the Network And Sharing Center and seem to have made some sort of connection with my other two networked machines.  After the driver installed I could see under LAN2 Status that I was sending packets but not receiving any.  I searched for an answer and changed the LAN2 connection to Home Network, as it had somehow been designated as Public Network (not by me, though).  For anyone who may be interested, this document helped me get all that business straightened out:  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2578723

After I made the LAN2 a Home Network connection (same as my onboard ethernet LAN), I began receiving packets. When I click "See full map" for the LAN2 connection I see icons for my HP/Win7 machine, my XP machine, and my hub, so it looks like all that is as it should be. My third machine, which is running Win2000, is not included in the network map on the HP/Win7 machine, but under Computers Near Me on the Win2000 machine I can see the HP/Win7 machine, and today I successfully transferd a batch of files from HP/Win7 to Win2000.  I can't see the HP/Win7 machine from the XP machine, and the connection between the XP and Win2000 now says "inaccessible," so something's apparently changed there. Also, the LAN2 connection on the HP/Win7 machine has now changed itself back to Public Network two times since I reset it to Home Network, so I don't know what's going on with that, though I have made sure that the box to "treat all connections as public" is not checked. But unless you want to tell me otherwise, I guess those are all separate issues beyond the topic of this post, which is for a driver that will work with my old NIC. So it looks like that problem is solved, correct?

HP Recommended

Glad the driver worked for you.

As far as some of your PC's not seeing the xw8200, make sure that all of the workgroup names are the same.

The default workgroup name for PC's on XP is MSHOME, so you have to change that to WORKGROUP which is the default workgroup name for W7.  It should have also been the same name for W2K, but pehaps you changed that workgroup name to MSHOME to work with XP?

That would be the only thing I can think of that may be blocking you.

Also, I always turn off password protected sharing in the network and sharing center in W7.

HP Recommended

Yes, I made sure that all three machines are named WORKGROUP, and since HP/Win7 can see XP, and Win2000 can see HP/Win7, and XP can see Win2000 (though it is "inaccessibe"), I think I've got it all set up correctly. PW protected sharing is off.  Anyway, I'm glad to know this isn't anything related to the NIC and driver, so I've apparently got other problems to solve.  I very much appreciate the help, Paul.  Old as it is, I like this xw8200 and I'm happy to have it up and running Win7.  Thanks a lot!

Mark

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Mark.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.