Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750-055xt Desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
After purchasing my HP I noticed I don't have a FireWire i.LINK IEEE 1394 cable port to transfer my Sony DCR-TRV240 video camera movies. I understand I need to purchase and install a special card into either the x16 or X1 PCIe expansion slot.
My questions are:
Which is best, x1 or x16?
Do I need the low profile?
Do I need to have a power connection to it?
Will I need any additional software?

Thanks in advance for your help. I should have researched this before purchasing.

Bill
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Bill, welcome to the forum.

@billcwilson wrote:
After purchasing my HP I noticed I don't have a FireWire i.LINK IEEE 1394 cable port to transfer my Sony DCR-TRV240 video camera movies. I understand I need to purchase and install a special card into either the x16 or X1 PCIe expansion slot.

My questions are:

Which is best, x1 or x16?  I recommend PCIE x1.  It is a bit slower, but it leaves your PCIE x16 slot open for a discrete video card.  You will no doubt want one if you game.
Do I need the low profile?  Either one should work.  Here is an exampleIf you want more information you can contact StarTech's Tech Support for suggestions or help.  They are very good.  I have used them several times.
Do I need to have a power connection to it?  Most Firewire add-on cards don't need one.
Will I need any additional software?  Normally, no.  However, if software is required it will come with the card.

Thanks in advance for your help. I should have researched this before purchasing.  You are welcome.

Bill

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Bill, welcome to the forum.

@billcwilson wrote:

My questions are:

Which is best, x1 or x16?  I recommend PCIE x1.  It is a bit slower, but it leaves your PCIE x16 slot open for a discrete video card.  You will no doubt want one if you game.
Do I need the low profile?  Either one should work.  Here is an exampleIf you want more information you can contact StarTech's Tech Support for suggestions or help.  They are very good.  I have used them several times.
Do I need to have a power connection to it?  Most Firewire add-on cards don't need one.
Will I need any additional software?  Normally, no.  However, if software is required it will come with the card.

Thanks in advance for your help. I should have researched this before purchasing.  You are welcome.

Bill

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
Thank you for your earlier help.
I purchased and successfully installed the StarTech FireWire card. The computer recognizes the card and Sony camera in the device manager, but it doesn't show up in windows explorer. When I play the camcorder the video doesn't automatically show up on the screen. I have uninstalled / reinstalled the drivers without help.
Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Possibly I wasn't supplied with capture software?

Bill
HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Thank you for the additional information.

If it were me, I would contact Sony's Customer Support for help.  They are the experts on their products.  I do believe that you may have hit on the problem when you suggest that you might need capture software.

HP Recommended

I have a PAVILION HP desk top - purchased last year. I need to add a card to capture my analogue video through my CANOPUS ADVC 110. Where can a purchase a firewire card to fit the only vacant expansion slot.

HP Recommended

@KEITHBYTHESEA

I would appreciate it if you start your own thread in the appropriate Forum.  This will get you more responses.  This thread is basically closed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.