Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am currently considering updating my computer by installing a gtx 1050ti single fan gpu. Everything is stock on my computer except for the gt730 discreet gpu (which i plan to remove to install the new gpu). My 2 concerns at this point is power consumption and actual physical size. Measured the clearence for the gpu at about 6inches eyeballing it which is why im opting for the single fan which is smaller than the standard sitting at around 5.7inches. Also read about the card fitting into a 500-223w which seems to be the intel version of my computer. If anyone could tell me definitively if it will physically fit that would be much appreciated.

Looking at multiple power consumption calculators the range seems to be 250-350w running range. Building an almost identical computer on pcpartpicker.com has it running around at 237w (with the graphics card already in the build).  under load id expect it to spike to around 289w  which is slightly under the stock 300w psu which is living a bit more dangerously than i would like ,so im looking for reccomendations for a "better" psu to protect the parts of the computer from the laws of if something can go wrong it will. Thank you for your time and suggestions 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
MS-7778 works fine with MSI GTX 1050 ti 4GT

Mine is HP 500 164 with upgraded PSU

I upgraded from GTX 760 and the 1050 is worth every penny

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

The power requirements for the NVIDIA GTX 1050ti can vary by manufacturer.  The GTX 1050TI that requires an auxiliary 6 pin PCIe power connector would not work in your PC as the 300 watt power supply in your PC lacks the auxiliary power connector.

The NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI is a budget graphics card and would not be suitable for most modern games.

Stick with the power supply wattage recommendation as stipulated by the graphics card manufacturer as a minimum.

The standard HP ATX PSU in 5.5 by 3.4 by 5.9 so stick with that size. You might need one special power adapter that has already been posted one this forum.

As for a PSU, consider at least a 30% headroom in wattage and add to that future considerations.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@Big_Dave,

You made an excellent point.  Comparing the GT 730 to the GTX 1050Ti performance levels is not work the effort, or expense.

@Ragnorikz,

The max potential of your 300W PSU is only 260W at 50C/122F.  The 300W is for 25C/77F.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your response

One of the reasons i chose the gtx 1050ti single fan is due to the fact that it does not require a direct connection to the psu, I apologize I forgot to clarify which one I was looking at.  For reference this is the gpu I am looking at is this one- https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Support-04G-P4-6253-KR/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=pd_lpo_147_bs_tr...

I also forgot to specify which gt 730 I have. I have a pny 2gb ddr3 which is why im looking to upgrade to ddr5.

I'm not looking to run modern games ive become accustomed to running a couple years behind. About 4 years ago i was playing on a Dell Rig which stock had 1gb of ram just looking to extend the lifetime of the computer a bit more. If there was more upgradability to the mobo i would be asking about a cpu instead of a gpu but price per point im at near the top processor for an amd fm2 mobo from the processor upgrade list provided by hp when looking at product specifications. Buying a new mobo to buy a new cpu seems quite a bit of work where as the gpu can be removed and put into a new desktop when i acquire one/ convince myself to build one.

So by the sicking with the sitpulated 300w or greater psu by the manufacturer i do not need to upgrade my psu?

Product specs for gtx 1050ti sc gaming-http://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=7e5bfb9f-c13b-4800-a855-bea3724a5f8e

HP Recommended

@Ragnorikz

Review post #1 in this thread.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
MS-7778 works fine with MSI GTX 1050 ti 4GT

Mine is HP 500 164 with upgraded PSU

I upgraded from GTX 760 and the 1050 is worth every penny
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your definitve response its greatly apprecaited.

If you dont mind me asking what psu did you use to replace the internal atx  stock psu/ where did you buy it from?

reason why im asking is because i went to toms hardware and they are fairly certain the stock psu is enough to power the gtx 1050ti but as a means of protecting the investment i should probs throw the 40$ at it and just upgrade the psu as well.

Thank you for your time and consideration

HP Recommended

I forgot what brand but I spent less then 70 bucks at best buy, its a 800 watt but anything 400 or more you shoud be fine. Mine is the 1050 ti 4gt https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG3IX4F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It has dual fans and does not require any extra power 6 pin, only draws power from the mobo. It was a tight fight and anything bigger then a 1050 ti dual fan will be super hard to squeeze in there. Good luck mate. 

HP Recommended

In case you are wondering on how games run with the new 1050 setup; witcher 3, deus ex mankind divided, rise of the tomb raider, CoD infinite warefare, and ESO are games I am currently playing on med/high grapics with a resolution of 2715x1527 with an avg 30-60 fps and its rarely dips below 30. I aso have 24 gb ram in the 500 164 which I plan on putting another 8gb stick to max of 32gb.

HP Recommended

@nodoubt711

Your claimed FPS rates are quite low for gaming quality performance.  Good gaming at the resolution and game settings that you are using would not be up to "gaming community" level. Some of the modern games that I run are 100+ fps. You probably don't need the extra ram.  I would suggest a graphics card cable of keeping your FPS rates at 60+.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.