Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-141ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

A couple of years ago I bought an HP pavilion 500-141ea, I am now looking into upgrading the GPU and PSU on it. I am interested in replacing the old GPU with a GTX 960 however I am unure as to whether it is compatible with my motherboard as I am unsure whether it has the bios version that is needed to support the GTX 960

Motherboard details:

MS-7778 (Jasmine)

Bios version: AMI 80.46     03/10/2013

If it dosen't work could you offer some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Madness 78, welcome to the forum.

The GTX 960 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard / Legacy BIOS.  Your motherboard does have UEFI.  You have two things to consider: 1) the wattage required to run the video card properly and 2) the length of the card.  The power supply unit (PSU) in the compter is 300W.  I believe that you will need a minimum of 400W.  I recommend a Corsair PSU of at least 500W.  The modular PSU's allow you to reduce the number of cables that you use.  This allows for better airflow.  You can determine if the card will fit by measuring from the Back I/O plate to the front of the computer.  This will let you see if it will fit and if any of the other components will be in the way of it fitting.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Madness 78, welcome to the forum.

The GTX 960 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard / Legacy BIOS.  Your motherboard does have UEFI.  You have two things to consider: 1) the wattage required to run the video card properly and 2) the length of the card.  The power supply unit (PSU) in the compter is 300W.  I believe that you will need a minimum of 400W.  I recommend a Corsair PSU of at least 500W.  The modular PSU's allow you to reduce the number of cables that you use.  This allows for better airflow.  You can determine if the card will fit by measuring from the Back I/O plate to the front of the computer.  This will let you see if it will fit and if any of the other components will be in the way of it fitting.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.