Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-540ch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. The GPU (GTX460) needs to be replaced.

Removed 460 and uninstalled its driver,

I tried installing a GTX1050 but the screen remained black.

Reinstalled 460: it works, but with the screen spots that suggest it needs replacement.

My rig:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02691769  with RAM upgraded to 16GB

GTX460 has a connector that needs to be plugged in, whereas GTX1050 does not seem to have such a port: would this be the explanation why GTX1050 does not work?

A local store told me that the GTX1050 could not be supported by the HPE-540ch build. So what GPUs are there that are fully compatible?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your PC has a legacy BIOS and the newer graphics cards expect the BIOS to have full UEFI support.  When an UEFI BIOS initializes, an UEFI graphics routine gets loaded to interact with the newer graphics cards such as the GTX 1050. When the GTX 1050 detects that it can't interact with the existing BIOS code then you will get a black screen and your PC will not boot. A HP version 8 BIOS level or higher is required for the newer graphics cards and HP has not implemented that level of BIOS for your PC.

Your best bet on a legacy graphics card would be the NVIDIA GTX 660 TI.  Please review this post.

The NVIDIA GTX 480, 670 and possibly the  GTX 680 might be other choices.  The GTX 670 and 680 has been finicky in some PCs. Be sure to check the graphics card power supply recommendation with the graphics card manufacturer as you may need a bigger power supply. 

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I'll check this out and post the results.

HP Recommended

Hello again.

My old card has Interface: PCI Express x16; I have found a GTX660Ti with Interface: PCI-E 3.0: will it work on my system?

Also, the internal power connection for my old card was with one 6-pin connector. Will the GTX660Ti also work with only one 6-pin connector?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unless the NVIDIA GTX 660TI was flashed for UEFI which by defualt they are not then the NVIDIA GTX 660TI should work. Measure inside to make sure that the NVIDIA GTX 660TI will fit as they vary in sizes.

Most GTX 660TI that I have seen require two (2) PCIe six pin power connectors.  In then situation, you will need to replace the power supply.  The Corsair CX600 or CX600m would be good choices for a power supply.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.