Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HPE h8-1010t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all

I have an old HPe h8-1010t that I decided to do some work on.  I took out an OEM Geforce GTX 745 from an Envy desktop that had a fried motherboard and tried installing it in the h8-1010t.  When I turn it on, I see the hp screen, but it just stays there and beeps twice every 20-ish seconds.  I tried using a few older geforce cards, and they all worked fine.  This computer orignally shipped with an AMD Radeon HD 6450 card.  does this model only support recent AMD cards? Do OEM geforce cards not work in this model? Or should I just buy a different card and that will work?  I'm just wondering if it would be a bad idea to buy a geforce.  Note: I also tried the Geforce GTX 745 in a Dell XPS 410, and it worked fine.

Computer specs:

processor: core i7-2600

Power supply: original power supply

Memory: original 6gb DDR3

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@jnilsson86, welcome to the forum.

Normally, the 700 series video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  Your computer was released June, 2011.  Each OEM manufacturer has their components made to their specifications.  So, it is difficult to know why one card will work and another won't.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Given the fact that the h8-1010t does not have UEFI, does this mean that it would be a bad idea to go with a later geforce model, or is that only specific to the 700 series?  also, would a more recent geforce non-OEM card work?  or given the model, would an AMD GPU be a better option for this computer?  Also, was Dell using UEFI 11 years ago? because I tried using the 745 in the dell XPS 410 and it worked fine, I was able to install the driver and play some games on it.  I'm just wondering what the best option would be for a graphics card upgrade.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @jnilsson86.

The last series of cards that didn't require UEFI were the GTX 660/670's.  Your best option is to choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.  They are the experts on their products.  It is extremely difficult for us to know which newer cards will work with older computers.

Your question about Dell using UEFI earlier is one that I can't answer.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

would a newer AMD card work?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.