Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I can't find how to get to my stand alone hard drive that has all my files from my old PC - have plugged it in but where is it and how do I copy my files, music and photos please?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

A Stream is not likely to have enough space to store the files.  Most HP Stream devices have 32GB.

You will need to purchase and plug in a micro SD media card to add more storage space.

Use Windows Explorer to see what files are in a USB connected external storage device.

Click on the folder icon that is in the bottom of the screen near the Microsoft Edge icon. That will invoke the Windows Explorer.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Yes I know that the Stream has very little storage space, that's why I have a hard drive plugged into the usb socket.  So, how do I use the 'Windows Explorer' to look at my files (most important) on the hard drive AND how do I then put them into/onto my 'cloud I have running via 'Knowhow' which I downloaded today.

Have I missed something in my understanding of this computer?  Why is windows 10 not as logical as EP?  When I wanted to see my computer and its added hardware ie a stand alone hard drive, I looked in 'my computer' and clicked on them to see the files - clicked on the files and saw what was in them!!!!

Thanks fore your help and I apologise if I appear frustrated - that's 'cos I am!

Clive

HP Recommended

@Clive15

Actually, when you plug in the USB hard drive, it should be recognized by the OS and you should see a pop-up that will ask you what you want to do.

Is your USB hard drive externally powered?

See the following image. I pointed out where to click on an invoke the Windows Explorer.  

Windows Explorer.png

Per your "Why is windows 10 not as logical as EP?", please enlighten me. What in the world is EP?   Please do not use acronyms when you can just write out what you mean to say.  

I have familiarity with many operating systems. It helps us when you state whether you are referring to an Apple OS, a Linux flavor or a Windows version. We are here to help, but please try not to complicate things.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.