Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Omen 870 210se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Just received new computer with Nvidia 1060 FE. After checking for all the components I ordered, I looked in shock to see a tiny HP graphics card in place of an original Nvidia 1060 production model !!? IS it common for HP to replace an original, off the shelf card with a licensed version of an Nvidia 1060 with their own firmware? I feel extremely cheated! Daddio4
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Daddio4,

Not sure where you got your insight ?

The HP specification page lists the GTX 1060 FE as the standard.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
Dean, just wrote out a well thought out reply, and it didn't post. Most of pushed the wrong button. I'm new to the forum and may not write down correctly what I'm thinking; many apologies. SO I'll try this again. I knew the computer bundle came with the 1060 graphics card and was excited and my son and I went to check out the card at our local computer store. When the computer came and I opened the chassis to check the build and saw this tiny graphics card, not even close to the Nvidia I looked at and expected to be in the build, I was shocked. If the computer model I paid for, claimed the graphics card was an " Nvidia 1060 Founders Edition ", I should have seen the exact card I touched and reviewed installed. Not a tiny HPs version of the same card. Nvidia licences out there products so companies can put their name on it. But that does not make it the same. The card may have the same specs, BUT it's not the card I researched and checked out. If the computer model's specifications had read, " HPs version of the Nvidia 1060 Founders Edition graphics card ", I would have upgraded or looked at another model. Without going on and on, I feel mislead and cheated by advertising that is not intirerly true.
HP Recommended
Wb2001 ( dean)
Posted a reply to dean. So I don't know if you'll get it. New to forum and may have posted it incorrectly. Sorry
Daddio4
HP Recommended

@Daddio4,

Please understand that NVidia is the licensee of the chipset.  It sells this out to the various manufacturer's.  Although you saw a marketed GTX 1060SE,  the manufacturer of that card designs their individual card using the chipset.  I  have a ZOTAC 1080 AMPM Extreme.  That beast is 12.8" long, and 5.8" wide.  It's also a full height card.  There are smaller built cards.

BTW, The Dean think is a Ranking.  My handle is wb2001.

Please have a good night, and enjoy your machine.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
wb2001, sorry for my lack of forum manners; thanks for answering twice and I'll hit the thumbs up. I'm not sure if we're talking completely about my issue. When you order something because you have seen it, used it are happy with it's performance and it is part of a 'system' you are now ordering , you would expect to see that exact part. That's what I expected to see as part of my build; a big old graphics card nearly as large as the chassis. In my chassis was a small inexpensive card a third of the size of a production Nvidia 1060, with HP stickers all over it! I didn't order a HP version of the Nvidia 1060, I read in the specs of this particular model and it clearly states that an Nvidia card is included. Not a version of an Nvidia graphics card. If I had known or have been told it was going to be a version ( lack of a better word) of the beast of a graphics card, I wouldn't have ordered it. The build sheet for the omen 870-21se plainly states that an Nvidia graphics card, 1060, is part of the system. Which made my son and I very excited and thankful that was part of the system. It physically and clearly is not included. So at this point, the head office and I are trying to resolve this, in my eyes, false advertising and come to a happy ending for all. Thanks for listening 🙂 Daddio4
HP Recommended
Wb-2001, forgot to let you know, I am a professional audio engineer, with plenty of electronic experience both building and trouble shooting experience electronic devices; computers included.
HP Recommended
wb2001
Hello again! This discussion could go on endlessly and I believe it wouldn't be resolved or be declared 'a solution' ! My only issue is, I want the big, full height, chassis length, double sloted, big beast graphics card that was advertised in the model description! Not a half size, ok-ed liscened ( sp?) Version that HP ok's. When you start spend a lot of money on a custom build, I believe you should get the parts you choose , because either you've used one, seen one ,or it was recommended or whatever reason. It's up to the big boys and me to see how we can come to a happy agreement. I would be happy to keep you posted if you like .
In any case, it was nice talking to you. I only hope you got all 4 of my replies!
Daddio4
HP Recommended

@Daddio4,

When HP specs a machine, it will list the graphics card. The mention is specifically a generic reference, such as GT 740, HD 5670, or whatever.  What got your attention is the exact reference to a brand name, NVidia.  I do consider this closed, as I am not employed by HP.  I am just a volunteer.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended
wb2001
Morning, I don't consider it closed by any means. I also got excited when I
' saw' an i7 7700 Intel processor , ordered that too and when I checked, sure enough, there it was shiny and new! In my humble opinion, not as a professional computer repair tech, I didn't receive what I read as a part available for this build and that's all there is to it.
I appreciate your opinion, but I'm not satisfied with what I have. I spent a lot a lot of money ,as many people due, for a product that I ordered and didn't get a large part of it. It sounds as if you're through talking about my issue and I respect that. Thanks for your opinion .
Daddio4
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.