Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
p7-1380t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After doing some research I thought I was ready to install. I checked hp to be sure it was one that would work with my pc, and the power adpt was big enough. Finding step by step directions is about imposible, but got a general idea on how, but after downloading nvidia drivers my pc rebooted and my pc would no longer boot up, it went into restore and kept looping through a system repair. 

I had to go into safe mode and uninstall all the nvidia drivers and then it did boot up. Then I had to find and install the original drivers to get back to normal. 

Thoughts anyone? 

It is a

NVIDIA Geforce GT630 2GB VGA&DVI&HDMI PCI Express x16 Video Graphics Card

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@davt,

There were 4 revisions of that card.  The vendor stated DDR5 RAM. That model is compliant.

You might want to verify the revision. See here.  Card must be manuf prior Sept 2012

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. It is the ddr5, it says that on the label.

HP Recommended

Isn't there step by step instructions to install a graphics card anywhere? 

Do I have to uninstall my old integrated graphics card drivers? 

Do I need to change anything in bios? 

Why after installing nvidia drivers my pc no longer works?

HP Recommended

Well after researching all morning and last night I wasn't getting anywhere, conflicting how to, and my problems seems uniche in hp forum. So here is what I did, against what most say to do: I installed the G-card. I booted up, screen messed up like it was using the new card. I did not uninstall my old driver. Instead I put the CD in that came with it, they may be old drivers (2014, but it's an old pc and the newer model card same name won't work I am told). It downloaded the drivers and rebooted and screen is back to normal and all is fine. If I find it isn't using the new card, I can change the order in bios easy enough, but I think it is working. It even says nvidia on boot up.

HP Recommended

nope, back to square one. I started getting flicker and browser blacking out, so it was said to update graphics drivers. So I did and computer went nuts again. So looking I see this is a common problem. Could be because I use 2 monitors, could be because all traces of old drivers need be removed, could be because the express install, could be this or that. People say to stay away from nvidia now. I give up. 

HP Recommended

Update: I tried again, just used the cd to get drivers this time. It worked, sort of. I was getting a little black screen flicker when I scrolled in browser.  Started getting worse real quick and browser quit working.  Saw on the web where I needed to update drivers. So I did. Back to getting death screen, wanted to do system restore. Back to safe mode and remove all drivers, but one wouldn't uninstall.

Next lightroom and PS wouldn't open all the way. Other things were stalling. Found where nvidia removed my intel driver so re-installed that, and then was able to uninstall the last nvidia driver. Back to normal, with no new graphics card. 

Then looking onlione I saw where if you use 2 monitors like I do, you get the screen of death. Then saw where some nvidia cards won't work with photoshop cc, and it was on the list. Also, if any traces of old drivers are left over, you get screen of death.

In conclusion, nvidia is too much trouble to keep trying to get it to work, too much stress and too risky, I have too much work on my pc to keep messing around. 

Looking at new pc's, I see hp is going with a smaller power supply, 150,  on a $1500 computer. So I won't be buying hp when I do decide to buy new, too hard to upgrade anything. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.