Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Dave 

I have a m9500z desktop with geforce 9500 gs. Spec: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01640570

I don't want to spend a new computer.  Can I upgrade thepc with psu (cx500 or cx600) and an evga GeForce GTX 560? How would I know that we have enough cooling?  I think I have enough space for the graphic card and power with the cx500 psu, and the only remaining question is the cooling.

HP Recommended

Hi jamesave,

The GTX 560 is a 150 watt card.  I run a GTX 460 which is a 160 watt card in my HP e9280t cabinet.  I don't push it for extended periods of time so I don't have any heat issues to be concerned about.

The Corsair PSUs have big exhaust fans and are more efficient (less heat) compared to the HP PSUs so that will definitely help.

Just be sure that your PC gets plenty of cool air and don't keep it in enclosed air space.

Here is a procedure on how to reduce heat inside your PC.

Additional cooling ideas: PCI slot cooling fan and vented PCI slot covers.

If you still run into significant heat issues then cabinet change might be a consideration.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Dave

Big thanks not only for your reply, but also your guides.

Thanks

jamesave

HP Recommended

I thought I was being a good mom and I bought my son a new computer last year.  Turns out, I did a poor job.  I've heard multiple complaints that the  HP Pavilion 6716f does not perform very well with the video games.  Go figure. 

Could you please help me figure out which card I could buy to upgrade this thing so it will perform better?

Many thanks.

Frustrated Mom.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The HP p6716f only has a 250 watt power supply which is not enough for supporting a gaming quality video card.  So, you will need a power supply replacement and a video card.

What budget amount are you thinking about for the video card and power supply?

What games are of the most interest to your son?

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Not sure about the budget. I just need to see what the prices range from. I could make these items a Christmas gift... 😉 If I said $200 would this even be feasible?

The games he plays: He plays games from something online called Steam. He said Just Cause2, Portal 2, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are some of the ones that he has trouble running. Hope that helps.
HP Recommended

Hi Vicki,

In the past, there have been online issues with the performance of the Steam servers.  That might be something to investigate.

Good online gaming performance needs a broadband internet connection.  That is something else to consider if you are not connected to the internet via broadband.

Review this posted document for background information.

The Corsair CX500 is an excellent choices for power supply.  It's $50 after rebate.

The XFX 6870 willl run the Steam based games on High to Ultra with a monitor resolution of 1920 by 1080 without issues. It's $145 after rebate.

These HP 'how-to" articles should be helpful.

HP Recommended
Hey I'm thinking about putting a GTX 660 Ti in my system

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03143257&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

That's my PC

and here's the GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127697

I already have a CX 500 hope to hear an answer!
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your help.  We will try the aforementioned suggestions.

HP Recommended

Hi mac9955,

Are you sure that a 10.44" card will fit in your PC?  Do some measuring to see if it will fit.

The Cosair CX500 should be plently of power for the NVIDIA 660.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.