Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Here is a link to a power supply calculator. This will help you determine how many Watts  you need based on the configuration of your PC.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Again Thank You Erico!!

When I receive Psu and Video card, I will post here the results!!!!

HP Recommended

Hey guys, sorry for this newb-ish question, but i've never had to deal with replacing a power supply before. Also, this is my first HP.

Recently I ordered an HP Pavilion Elite 180t, and am a bit concerned with the power supply its shipping with (460w). As of right now I plan on buying a new 650w supply. My question is this: Is there any problem with using another brand's power supply with an HP computer? I was leaning towards a Corsair (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&cm_re=Corsair_-_650W-_-17-139-005-_-... ).

Again, I don't know anything on this subject. Will I encounter any problems fitting it in the case? Will it function properly? Does the wiring vary? I'd greatly appreciate any input you all are willing to give.

HP Recommended

You should have no trouble with that power supply fitting in your HP. I put a Corsair 550watt PS in my HP. Fit like a glove. No issues since installing. Just follow the instructions and mark your wires and connections when you uninstall the old one.

HP Recommended

@Kantucki

Thanks a lot. Knowing that clears up my skepticism.

HP Recommended

You are welcome.

HP Recommended

hi, howcome every one is saying any psu will fit and work perfectly with all HP PCs, i have a HP COMPAQ 8000 elite convertible minitower and the mobo is a lot different from any other mobo and a regular PSU won't work, it not a matter of physically fitting the PSU in the case, it a amatter of different cabling, 

1- the mobo does not have the standard 24 or 20+4 pin for main power, instead it used one that resembles a 6 pin PCI express cable.

2- there is this wierd cable that i just cannot identify, nor can anyone on the internet, the label on the mobo says it is "CMD PWR" and it has 6 pins and the only thing it looks like, is the ancient 6 pin aux cable that even my old P4 PC does not use!!

and the PC won't start without it being plugged in, it just beeps and shows red lights.

3- all the peripherals (HDD and DVD) are drawing their power from the mobo and not the PSU!!

how come a new PC does not support standard wiring and cables and how am i supposed to replace the PSU? i am very frustrated with it being sooo different. and since i am in a country with "limited" HP support, which means i will  not find matching cables if they are actually proprietary cables designed only for that PC, the only place i could get help is from you guys.

HP Recommended

Can't seem to find any reference but hope someone can help me - just got a dc5750 SFF pc 2nd hand on a good deal.  The prob I now have is the micro atx psu appears to be 240W rated.  It has integrated graphics at the moment, and I want to install a low profile pci-e graphics card - however, all the cards I find want a minimum 300W supply!  Anyone any experience on upgrading the psu for small form factors (this is my 1st lol), or suggestions on alternate graphics solutions?

HP Recommended

Same problem here with a 8100 Elite Convertible MiniTower.

Need a PS upgrade that also has 2 PCI-e 6-pin cables for a graphics card upgrade.

If these systems can't have PS upgrades - they are just "systems of potential emptiness"....! Especially when they have a 320W PS.

@smn_1010 wrote:

hi, howcome every one is saying any psu will fit and work perfectly with all HP PCs, i have a HP COMPAQ 8000 elite convertible minitower and the mobo is a lot different from any other mobo and a regular PSU won't work, it not a matter of physically fitting the PSU in the case, it a amatter of different cabling, 

1- the mobo does not have the standard 24 or 20+4 pin for main power, instead it used one that resembles a 6 pin PCI express cable.

2- there is this wierd cable that i just cannot identify, nor can anyone on the internet, the label on the mobo says it is "CMD PWR" and it has 6 pins and the only thing it looks like, is the ancient 6 pin aux cable that even my old P4 PC does not use!!

and the PC won't start without it being plugged in, it just beeps and shows red lights.

3- all the peripherals (HDD and DVD) are drawing their power from the mobo and not the PSU!!

how come a new PC does not support standard wiring and cables and how am i supposed to replace the PSU? i am very frustrated with it being sooo different. and since i am in a country with "limited" HP support, which means i will  not find matching cables if they are actually proprietary cables designed only for that PC, the only place i could get help is from you guys.

HP Recommended

I've had an HP Pavilion Media Center M8430f since April of '08.  I've finally got to the point that I need to upgrade to run newer games because of the now dated Geforce 8500 GT.  I'm looking to add an NVIDIA GTX 470 but my understanding is that the power supply in my PC is only in the 300w range and this card needs 550w.  The first post here is very informative and I've found some ATX PSUs in the 500-600w range on newegg (only 4 total) but it looks like they are all cheap models with hit-or-miss reviews.  Any thoughts on these PSUs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600013999%20600014021&IsNode...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.