Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8000 Elite 8400 core2dou
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I purchased on of these as reconditioned and it works fine.

Recently I noticed that there is no CPU fan, or even a bracket to hold a cpu fan.

I have look at others of this type online, and noticed that same thing.

Doesn't this CPU need a cooler?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you have the SFF model, the processor is cooled by the chassis fan.

The air from the fan flows through the heat sink and provides adequate cooling for the processor.

I can't remember if the fan blows the air into the heat sink or draws it away (exhausts it) from the heat sink.

Just hold your hand near the fan outlet to feel which way the air is blowing.

There should be a plastic shroud (fan baffle) over the fan and heat sink.

You can see the parts list below...

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4065894&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01...

The 8000 Elite CMT has a separate processor fan atop the heat sink.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you have the SFF model, the processor is cooled by the chassis fan.

The air from the fan flows through the heat sink and provides adequate cooling for the processor.

I can't remember if the fan blows the air into the heat sink or draws it away (exhausts it) from the heat sink.

Just hold your hand near the fan outlet to feel which way the air is blowing.

There should be a plastic shroud (fan baffle) over the fan and heat sink.

You can see the parts list below...

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4065894&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01...

The 8000 Elite CMT has a separate processor fan atop the heat sink.

HP Recommended

Thank you..that is very interesting.

I figured that it must be cooling it somehow.

I've never seen that type of arrangement before.

Most of the time there there is a place to clip on the fan on the cpu socket.

Mine does nopt have the typical lever and bracket arrangement.

Just a naked cpu.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It does have the rectangular heatsink though, right?

I can't think of any of the HP dc7xxx or Elite 8xxx SFF's that have a separate cooling fan atop the heat sink.

Only the towers have that arrangement as well as a chassis fan and power supply fan.

HP Recommended

Hi, I bought a non-SFF HP Compaq 8300 Elite Tower. End of life - reconditioned item off an IT Recycler

It was running an i5-3570, but I've dropped in an i7 2600, and it runs just fine. But it runs hotter (7-10 degrees), and I'd like to drop the temps a bit. Temps are well below T-junction so its a lower level concern, but I like them run cool.

I noticed that the mounting space (screw distance) is non-standard with Intel 1155 mounting units by other manufacturers so a Hyper 212X or Cryorig won't just drop into the slots and take care of things.

Whats my best option to improve my CPU cooling.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.