Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a 2010 HP Compaq 8000 Elite and need to upgrade the power supply in order to run my new Radeon HD 6850 Graphics card. After much research i found that this particular computer's motherboard does not have a normal 20-pin or 24-pin power supply but instead uses 2 separate 4-pin connections for the PWR and PWRCPU supplies and a third cable which i believe to be an ancient and outdated 6 pin auxiliary power cable (http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#aux) for the PWRCMD supply. I Also found that all power is run through the motherboard to each separate piece of hardware in the computer and therefor most likely has a limit for the max power supply possible. Is there some sort of power supply that will both fit in the PSU slot (which is not the standard PSU size, but instead measures about 6" x 5.75" x 3.75") and will also be able to connect to and supply enough power to the mother board?!? Or am i stuck with a lousy 320W??? Please Help!!!

Service Map: (http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01944841/c01944841.pdf)

Similar Case: (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/replacing-PSU-on-HP-COMPAQ-8000-ELITE-Convertible-Mini...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Maverickv2,

You will not be able to upgrade that PSU, model # 508154-001. It is not possible with those connectors. The most absurd item was that the hardware (drives) actually are powered off the motherboard. (Just like you said).

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

180 REPLIES 180
HP Recommended

Maverickv2,

You will not be able to upgrade that PSU, model # 508154-001. It is not possible with those connectors. The most absurd item was that the hardware (drives) actually are powered off the motherboard. (Just like you said).

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hay More infor on this have same problem with 8100 elite .. will return if no solution?

HP Recommended

No solution. Ended up building a separate whole new computer.

HP Recommended

This is ridiculous!  I need the tower to handle a decent video card for CAD and other calculations in which requires the fastest card I can get to sum up the time it takes to complete.  In which the GPU requires a power supply that is at least 450 watts. 

It looks like this version of the power supply for the 8000 elite is for a silmline "mini" not a mid tower type "mini"  The mid tower type mini has the real estate for the hardware but looks to be meant to streamline as a cheaper solution.  I cant even add a third hard drive for RAID

I have made a serious mistake by purchasing this and I will have to spend more time researching the specifications going forward.  I trusted HP on this to be a viable solution considering the past products.  I can't afford to make this same mistake again.

HP Recommended

I know exactly how you feel. I was very disapointed to find such a puny (and mostly permanent) power supply in a computer that was clearly made with space for some customization. Unfortunately, if your thinking about keeping the computer and changing parts, you have to go so far as to switching to a standard ATX motherboard in order to be able to get a new PSU inside it. Even then I dont know if a PSU would fit in the cases' slot.

HP Recommended

Hi, you can use a ATX-PSU if you do some rewiring:

1: The 4-pin cpu contact is ok as it is.

2: Clip the 12v, -12v and GND from the 24pin ATX and wire it to the 6-pin MB contact (color coded)

3: Take the "Pwr good" from the ATX- contact  and put it on the small 6 pin HP special contact (grey I think) (clip the others on this special contact)

4: Use a external switch to ground the green "Ps_ON" from the PSU ATX contact.

5: Set in bios that it will start automatically after power loss.

Now you can start the computer via the new external switch.

You will have to press F1 during startup because it complains about the PSU fan is not detected.

(The elite series is steering the PSU fan from th Motherboard) 

HP Recommended

By the way...I used a Z400 475W PSU... it fits perfect.

HP Recommended
can you take a photo of your setup? so that I know exactly what you are talking about

line 2 of your reply, refers to the pwr or pwrcmd inputs?
HP Recommended

hi

can some 1 explain 4: Use a external switch to ground the green "Ps_ON" from the PSU ATX contact. to me

Thankyou

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.