Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Dc7900
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed 250 Gb second HD in my PC DC7900,PC did not starts and beeps 5 times,I checked connections again and pressed on all memory modules,PC started OK and runs fine,problem seems recudding when I open the case and touch cables,rams look firmly seated,and cables well connected,I tried disconnects the second HD I installed but it did not solve the problem,otherwise PC runs fine and fast,I am thinking of upgrading ram to 8Gb instead of the 4 Gb present,if issue is caused by ram,I appreciate any help?thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the problem is not occuring now, perhaps reseating each memory module fixed the issue.

I would not bother testing it again unless the 5 beeps reoccurs.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

The 5 beeps is a memory or motherboard problem.

I would remove all but one of the memory modules and test each one individually and find the one (s) that may be bad.

If the PC beeps 5 times with all of the single memory modules tested at a time, then you can pretty much bet the motherboard is shot and not all of the memory chips.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The PC is now working OK,no beeps,shall I test the rams now or leave it until the 5 beeps recurs?as the 5 beeps tends to recur after I open the case to change HD or cable?it does not happens always?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Something is odd...

If it is not beeping now, I would leave well enough alone.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I was planning to upgrade to 8Gb ram from 4Gb ram,I changed my plan when this 5 beeps occurs,if it is ram issue this can be solved with the new upgrade,but if it is Motherboard issue it will be different,is there a way to find out?

HP Recommended

Since I am not a PC repair tech by trade or training, I would not know of a definite way to confirm whether or not it is one or the other.

You may want to try completely removing and firmly reseating each memory module and then jiggle whatever wires you hit and see if the 5 beeps occur.

Memory may 'look' firmly seated when in actuality it isn't.

You have an intermittent problem there--either a partially unseated memory module, or a problem with one of the memory slots itself, or some other circuit on the motherboard is faulty.

HP Recommended

I have reseated all 4 rams firmly instead of testing each one indvidually and firmly on all cables connectors,the PC is running OK now,shall I retest each memory individually?

If the problem recurs shall I do the same steps,as it seems the 5 beeps only happens when I open the case and change hard drive or touch cables?

thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi:

If the problem is not occuring now, perhaps reseating each memory module fixed the issue.

I would not bother testing it again unless the 5 beeps reoccurs.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm having a same problem too.I tested both of my RAM memory (2GB).Still getting beeps.But sometimes it boot normally.I don't how it got up but 2 days later things happened again.And It keeping like that.

S.O.S

HP Recommended

Hi, what type of ram you have installed?

have you tried testing each ram individually in slot one?if not try this it may be one ram is faulty.

Try reseating the ram this help as eram may not be seated properly though they look so.

let me know how it goes.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.