Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 750-150xt CT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new HP computer includes an "Ultra Slim Tray SuperMulti DVD Burner", but I have been completely unable to find a model ID or specs on this device.  I did find a datasheet on the HP dvd940i device, but have no reason to believe that is the device in my computer.  Anybody know where to find out the details, hopefully without having to open up my computer.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please download and install the following tool, it will show you all:

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/inspector/inspector.php

as shown:

vso.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

You can find the model number from product instruction.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Normally you can check Device Manager, under DVD/CD - ROM Drives section, it will tell you what it is

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

No DVD documentation came with the computer.  I have already searched all the very minimal documentation provided for the ENVY desktop, and there is no way for me to even search for DVD documentation without knowing a model number.

HP Recommended

Already looked in Device Manager.  I just lists the DVD drive as "hp HLDS DVDRW GUD0N".  Googling that doesn't get much of use.  My guess is that it is an HP driver identifier, not a DVD model ID.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please download and install the following tool, it will show you all:

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/inspector/inspector.php

as shown:

vso.png

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Just got around to installing VSO Inspector, and it works fine, shows my drive to be Vendor: hp HLDS, Model: DVDRW GUD0N.  This is, indeed, the same thing shown by the Device Manager -- I just thought the model to be very unusual, and the fact that searching both with Google and in HP Support comes up with nothing useful is also unusual.  Generally, I have been successful in finding specifications, a data sheet, or some sort of manual for my hardware, but not for this device.  Bummer -- I guess HP just doesn't publish anything like that!  Perhaps there is a manufacturers model number which is hidden when HP procures the device and renames it.

Anyway, thanks for the help.  I think I'll open an HP Support ticket, just because I'd like to know more about the device -- read/write speeds, at least. . .

HP Recommended

Any chance you came to a resolution of this issue?  I'm finding replacing my DVD burner with an appropriate Blu Ray burner to be difficult at best.  I suppose I could just crack open the case and pull the DVD burner out and use it as a reference, but it really shouldn't be that difficult to upgrade hardware on these PC's.  

For reference I have an Envy 750-175se desktop, which I assume is the same formfactor as your 750-150xt (but of course the way HP works that isn't garuanteed!).

I'd also love to upgrade the power supply to a more efficient one, but I only say that because I have to assume the OEM 300W PS is not all that efficient, not because I can actually find any specs on it.  

HP Recommended

Afraid I don't have anything to add.  It seems we have reached the point where HP, at least, feels no need to share detailed specifications or upgrade instructions with the general public!  I don't mind if this type of information is only available from the support site, but for it to be unavailable even there is unacceptable -- I think I'll try PortaTech  next time. . .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.