Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite 8000 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am planning on adding an SSD to my desktop. I am running Duo Core Intel 3.16  E8500, with 16 G of ram, my BIOS is 786G7  v01.02  10/22/2009   Do I need to update this? If so how?  Machine runs perfect now just want more speed. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is no need to update the BIOS to install a SSD.  I have one in my 8000 Elite CMT and it works just fine, and definitely works faster than the standard mechanical hard drive.

However, you should know that the drive controller can only run a SATA III hard drive at the SATA II speed.  The first HP desktop PC in that class that could run SATA III hard drives at the SATA III speed is the 8200 Elite.

Since you are running Windows 10, your only option would be to flash the BIOS with one of the DOS based methods. 

Do not use the Windows based flash.

You can easily flash the BIOS by downloading and running the latest BIOS update file for your PC.  You would have to select the Windows 7 file from the support page.

An instruction page will open and give you the various ways you can flash the BIOS.

The one I always choose is the F10 BIOS flash method. 

All you need for that is a usb flash drive formatted with the FAT 32 file system, and follow the instructions on the page that opens.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is no need to update the BIOS to install a SSD.  I have one in my 8000 Elite CMT and it works just fine, and definitely works faster than the standard mechanical hard drive.

However, you should know that the drive controller can only run a SATA III hard drive at the SATA II speed.  The first HP desktop PC in that class that could run SATA III hard drives at the SATA III speed is the 8200 Elite.

Since you are running Windows 10, your only option would be to flash the BIOS with one of the DOS based methods. 

Do not use the Windows based flash.

You can easily flash the BIOS by downloading and running the latest BIOS update file for your PC.  You would have to select the Windows 7 file from the support page.

An instruction page will open and give you the various ways you can flash the BIOS.

The one I always choose is the F10 BIOS flash method. 

All you need for that is a usb flash drive formatted with the FAT 32 file system, and follow the instructions on the page that opens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.