Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 810-370st CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this CTO PC a little over a month ago.  It came with Windows 8.1; I upgraded to Windows 10.  3TB hard drive, with 32 MB of RAM.

Initially, I had to send it back because all of the USB ports stopped working.  It was repaired and sent back.  Now the hard drive is constantly "churning" because something seems to be always processing.  As a result, mouse movements are sometimes delayed to the extreme or completely ignored; and sometimes keyboard keystrokes are ignored.  If I run the "countdown timer," the "dismiss" notification appears long after the timer is finished.

I've been a long time fan of HP hardware.  I own several business-level black/white and color HP printers, and this is my second "maxed out" CTO desktop.  I had high expectations with this one, but I am really disappointed with this PC.  

Any suggestions as to why the performance on this PC is so unpredictable or the hard drive is constantly working would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The bios update I used was   HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2ACE)
8.21 Rev.A    Dec 12,2015 ...   The choice will be dependant on your system board. My board was 2ACE 1.09....  you can find this information  in the HP support Assistant under specifications.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I would suspect the PC is still trying to normalize after the upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10.  If you are satisfied with Windows 10, I would backup data and do a clean install of Windiows 10.  You can do that by using the Media Creation tool from M$ and then get the massive update to Windows 10.  Once that is completed, I would expect the problems to subside.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  

If "trying to normalize" means the churning will stop in some reasonable amount of time, I can wait.  If doing a clean install means I'll have to reload all of my apps, which I suspect is the case, that's a much less appealing option.  

I didn't have this issue when I received it new, did the upgrade to Windows 10, and then loaded my apps.  This issue started after it was 'fixed' by HP.  

The PC was supposed to have been returned factory fresh, but was not.  Instead, it came back with Window 8.1 installed and had a user with my name configured.  It's hard to image these are related, but who knows.  

HP Recommended

Doing the clean install will indeed involve reloading all of the apps that do not come with Windows or HP, so I can see that is less appealing.  If the churning continues, the reinstall would still be my recommendation, as it should not be doing that.  I noticed one of my desktops did that for awhile after upgrading to the newest Windows 10 ( It’ll report itself as version “1511)  If you have that version installed and it still is churning, I would do the clean install.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I did a clean install and still have the constant read/write to the hard drive.  I'll see if it eventually goes away.  

HP Recommended

Something that could be part of it although you seem to indicate it wasn'a a problem with 8.1 Usually Windows  would load page files which does cause a lot of disk activity...usually after a number of days or less it will slow down and stop entirely. Just a thought. you could try and disable the page filing system to test this theory. Good luck and post back with a follow up to help others that might have your issue or a similar one.

HP Recommended

I have this same model  810 370 st...after upgrading to windows 10  which was only about six months after purchasing, my problems began.  Firstly most of the time any restart would go through an endless boot  loop . I could only boot up by unplugging all attached usb devices. Secondly,  coming out of sleep my fan would go into overdrive randomly and  require a forced shut down.... This went on for months and I couldn't find a solution. I tried looking for any updates on HP but none came up.  Until,  someone told me to try  searching for drivers on HP  under the original operating systen when purchased ( win 8.1) ...Doing this I found Bios updates!  Lo and behold it now runs like a charm ! I This problem would have been solved long ago had HP listed these updates under windows 10 as well as 8.1

HP Recommended

Which specific bios updates did you use?

My biggest problem now is my erratic mouse.  Sometimes it simply won't respond or is jerky when it does.  This is very annoying to say the least. 

HP Recommended

The bios update I used was   HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2ACE)
8.21 Rev.A    Dec 12,2015 ...   The choice will be dependant on your system board. My board was 2ACE 1.09....  you can find this information  in the HP support Assistant under specifications.

HP Recommended

I was so frustrated, I was going to sell this box and buy something else.  And I just put in a Samsung 1 TB Pro SDD.  After the BIOS update, everything is working fine (at least so far).

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.