Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy h8-1534
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have read and re-read articles for the past 3 hours. I bought a new Samsung Evo 500gb ssd. This was put in to replace a samsung 250gb ssd (it was fine, put it in my laptop). So same port, same cable and same installation (imaged my 250gb ssd, dumped image back onto 500gb ssd). No matter what I try, samsung magician reports sata III ports available, you are currently plugged into a sata port II. First off, my motherboard (angelica2) only has sata III ports, 6 of them. So here is what I have tried out of desperation:
Tried the SSD in ever sata port, 0-5. Tried two existing cables (since i unplugged my other two hard drives) and also a fresh out of package sata III cable from newegg (got free with mail in for the heck of it). Checked and updated all drivers imaginable. BIOS version is AMI 8.07. All I could find for BIOS upgrade was actually older, so didn't want to go that route. Used AIDA, HWINFO to verify drive SATA 6.0gb/s @ 3.0gb/s so it isn't just magician being wrong. And used AS SSD and I am getting 264/240 respectively. I have no idea what else to try here. this should've been very simple. Is there anyway this could have been caused by the imaging of the previous ssd to the new ssd? I really don't want to have to re-install windows 10 unless completely necessary. Seriously guys, please help !!!! Thanks in advance, this board really has no idea how much it has helped me over the years so I have faith someone here has some ideas.

UPDATE: I put in the brand new 3tb seagate drive as well and it has the same reading of 6.0gb/s @ 3.0gb/s so I assume it is not a samsung issue anymore but a computer issue (HP ENVY h8-1534). Makes me wonder why the port (at least for the previous SSD) was working fine with the previous samsung ssd. I didn't have another sata III drive in the machine before, so I wouldn't have seen this up until now.

UPDATE: I just updated to the latest BIOS version available, still the same thing.

UPDATE: I switched the seagate 3tb drive into SATA port 1 instead of 3 and it now reports 6.0gb/s @ 6.0gb/s. So this is a Samsung SSD issue. And obviously only SATA 0 and SATA 1 are SATA III ports (as expected, false advertising)

UPDATE: Something I noticed in my research, all the registry entries I can locate referring to sata control is set to value of 0, but they all (iastorv,pciide,atapi, etc.) have startoverride settings of 3. Even if I delete the string, upon restarting it comes back and startoverride is created again with a value of 3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Well, I was impatient. I figured after all that I tried, there had to be an issue with my image that I transferred over so I wiped out that and re-installed windows 10 fresh. Of course, it worked just fine. All I can say is if you read all this, keep an eye out for the settings from the old installation before transferring it so you can compare after the fact. Obviously something wasn't right in my image. The only thing I found to be glaringly different is that now instead of AMD sata controller under IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers in device manager, I have "Standard SATA AHCI controller" and previously I had "AMD SATA controller" I assume this may change when I get to updating the graphics card drivers on this new install. If that breaks it again, I will return and let everyone know.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If you have installed the operating system, invoke the Device Manager and expand the storage controller device section.

What are the names and model numbers of the controllers that are there?

The driver you should update is the video driver software package from AMD.

That is where the chipset drivers are.

AMD chipset motherboards are quite different than those with Intel chipsets.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I did this. In device manager under storage controllers, I have the AMD storage controller (only one listed). The driver version is 1.3.1.276 from 3/19/15. This came with the latest chipset drivers from AMDs website. The video driver package was the latest for the Radeon 7570 card I have (which is the same card it has always had).

HP Recommended

Can you use the snipping tool to take a screenshot while the Device Manager is open and also the Storage controller device is expanded?

Right click on the controller and select details and Hardware IDS in the property tab. See the following example.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Well, I was impatient. I figured after all that I tried, there had to be an issue with my image that I transferred over so I wiped out that and re-installed windows 10 fresh. Of course, it worked just fine. All I can say is if you read all this, keep an eye out for the settings from the old installation before transferring it so you can compare after the fact. Obviously something wasn't right in my image. The only thing I found to be glaringly different is that now instead of AMD sata controller under IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers in device manager, I have "Standard SATA AHCI controller" and previously I had "AMD SATA controller" I assume this may change when I get to updating the graphics card drivers on this new install. If that breaks it again, I will return and let everyone know.

HP Recommended

And @erico , I know that under storage controllers, the only thing listed was "Microsoft Storage Controller" which is the same as it is now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.