Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-054
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion 500. I recently went to my BIOS screen and the BIOS did an update then my computer shut off. Now whenever I turn on my computer I receive 6 beeps and no display. The light remains on, and I can hear my fans running, but that is it.

I did not change anything in BIOS previously or during this, I only went to the screen that automatically updated. I have  a graphics card in my PC that did not come with the computer, but this isn't a new install and has been in since I purchased (2 years ago.)

Not sure if the hardware is breaking and it is a coincidence, or if the BIOS update messed up my computer?

Thank you for any and all help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

In addition to what Erico posted, you had previously installed a non-HP video card, correct?

Since the product specs for your PC indicates that it came with W8, you would have needed to go into the BIOS, disable secure boot and enable legacy mode in order for the video card to work.

Otherwise you would have gotten the 6 Beep alarm right after you installed the card.

So...I believe what happened, is the BIOS update set the BIOS in your PC back to its defaults (legacy mode disabled, secure boot enabled), and now your video card is being rejected.

Recommendation...shut down, unplug the PC and remove your add on video card.

Plug in and power on your PC, go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode, and disable secure boot again.

Shut down the PC, unplug it and reinstall your add on video card.

See this link for what BIOS settings need to be changed...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

"I recently went to my BIOS screen and the BIOS did an update then my computer shut off."

How did the BIOS update itself? That requires either an automatic update permission given by you or a manual update.

"I only went to the screen that automatically updated."

What screen are you referring to?

Try removing the video card and connecting the display to the onboard graphics output connection matching your display cable.

Do you see any BIOS post information when it is starting?

What is the name of the BIOS?

If it is an AMI BIOS, the six beeps indicate a fatal error related to a motherboard issue.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

In addition to what Erico posted, you had previously installed a non-HP video card, correct?

Since the product specs for your PC indicates that it came with W8, you would have needed to go into the BIOS, disable secure boot and enable legacy mode in order for the video card to work.

Otherwise you would have gotten the 6 Beep alarm right after you installed the card.

So...I believe what happened, is the BIOS update set the BIOS in your PC back to its defaults (legacy mode disabled, secure boot enabled), and now your video card is being rejected.

Recommendation...shut down, unplug the PC and remove your add on video card.

Plug in and power on your PC, go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode, and disable secure boot again.

Shut down the PC, unplug it and reinstall your add on video card.

See this link for what BIOS settings need to be changed...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

HP Recommended

Thank you! That's exactly what happened!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.