Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an older HP Pavilion desktop PC that has just decided to no longer boot. When powering on I get NO POST beeps of any kind and nothing displays on the monitors. The CPU and chassis fans DO spin, and I believe that the drives are spinning. I'm trying to determine if the motherboard is shot.

Please advise.

thank you ahead of time for any assistance.

thanks

cj

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Take a look at the rear of the PC in the area of the PSU.

When you press the power button, is the LED  at the rear of the PSU green and not blinking? This may be a moot point is you can hear the fans spinning.

Have you tried reseating the memory modules?

You can also remove both modules and put a single module in the DIMM slot closest to the CPU and then try starting the PC. If there are no positive results with one module, then remove it and try another memory module in the same DIMM slot.

If that fails, then clearing CMOS may help.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply.

When powered off, the green power supply light is on. As soon as I press the PC power button, that LED goes off.

Just tried pulling the memory and using a signle module as you suggested. The same symptoms remain.

I will attempt a CMOS clearing next.

Thanks,

cj

HP Recommended

CMOS clear didn't make any difference either.

thanks!

cj

HP Recommended

Try resetting the PSU. The green led should remain on. It is a diagnostic LED for the PSU.

Follow the instructions on this HP web document

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Ok...I've gone through all of the PS troubleshooting on that page. The only time the PS light stays on is when the main mother board power connection is disconnected.

HP Recommended

I do hate to bear bad news.

Your motherboard is the likely cause if all on the troubleshooting has been done without positive result.

You can purchase a motherboard through an online vendor at a reasonable price. Otherwise it is time to look for a replacement PC.

HP Recommended

Thanks. That's basically what I was looking for anyway. I just didn't want to get a PS and not need one, or a MB and not need one.

I appreciate the help!

HP Recommended

I wanted to revive this thread. I replaced the motherboard and have the exact same symptoms. Any other ideas? Could the CPU be fried or could it still possibly be the PS?

thanks!

cj

HP Recommended

Hi cj_photo,

After checking through all the troubleshooting that you have completed up to this point, there are only to other possible issues. One yes could be the power supply, for this a lot of the power cords are interchangeable. If you have another one available, or even borrow one from a friend, you could test it to see if it is actually the power supply that may need to be replaced. The other option that you would be looking at would be the processor.

Please let me know if trying a different power supply has resolved the issue, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.