Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a HP ProDesk 600 G1 and replace the HDD with a SSD.

My question is how can I install Windows 7 on the SSD?

Does HP supply a Windows 7 OEM product key which I can use with an Windows 7 ISO downloaded from Microsoft?

Any suggestions welcome.

John

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

John,

HP doesn't appear to supply a Windows 7 OEM product key for you to use with a Windows 7 ISO. Provided you are purchasing a configuration with downgrade rights, HP will typically pre-install Windows 8 and provide a set of Windows 7 "HP Recovery Discs" or will pre-install Windows 7 and provide a set of Windows 8 discs. Exactly what you get depends on the ordering configuration you select. In either case, there will be no visible product key on the computer due to changes in the Microsoft licensing requirements. As of the introduction of Windows 8, the Windows product key is encypted and embedded in the BIOS.

Please see the following HP Forum threads for infomation and possible solution related to your question;

HP Windows 8 downgrade to Win 7 HP 8300 SFF - No Win 7 OEM sticker.

Downgrade from Win 8 to 7, where's my key?

HP Pro 3500 - Why Windows 8 Restore CDs?

windows product keys

HP Pro 3500 windows 8 upgrade

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will give them a go and let you know how I get on.

John

HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

I purchased the machine and it was supplied (as you said) with a set of Windows 7 disks. One for the OS and one for the Windows 7 drivers.

It was simply a matter of fitting the SSD drive and booting from the OS disk.

I will keep your notes in case it's not as easy next time.

John

HP Recommended

We have the identical machine and it came with both Win 7 and Win 8.1 restore disks. My suggestion would be:

1. Physically install the SSD
  2. Use the restore DVD disk (and accompanying Driver disk) to install Win 7 on your SSD
  3. Change your BIOS to start from your SSD.

You now will have your original operating system on Drive 1, so to speak, and Win 7 on your SSD. If you ever wanted to start up from Drive 1, you could just change your BIOS.

I do want to qualify the above by saying that I don't know if this violates any license agreement with Microsoft or HP, and I absolutely am not suggesting nor advocating that you do so...you'll need to check the fine print in the license agreement on that part!  

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

I installed my SSD drive into the case with black isolation mounting screws from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSD-BLACK-ISOLATION-MOUNTING-SCREWS-M3-for-HP-/191851923033

Now I have both my SSD and 3.5" factory drives fit nicley intomthe proDesk 600 case. I use the factory drive for backups.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.