Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey guys, I got my hands on a pretty sweet dual CPU HP Z800 workstation. So I threw my GTX 980 in there and at first everything seemed great. But it's been having issues powering on. Below is a video of the exact symptom but basically it turns on for about half a second then shuts off, and continuously repeats this loop. I've looked into this a bunch and found several possible issues and I think i've tried almost all of them. One of the things im confused about though, is that theres a greenlight on the back of the power supply and everyone says if i take it out and plug it in the greenlight should "come on" if the power supply is good. I cant find any clarity on if the light is just supposed to come on for a second or if its supposed to stayyy on! So if you guys have any ideas on that please let me know. Because I'm still not certain if its the power supply thats the actual issue, and replacement 1100watt power supply is very pricey!

Here's a video of whats happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_fF9yVLaSU&feature=youtu.be

I've tried:
Removing all RAM and replacing.
Different video cards.
Reseating all the connections
Made sure the PSU connectors/pins are all snug where they should be
Different power outlets/not using a power strip
Unplugging all peripherals
Made sure nothing lose in case (like a screw) shorting it out

Please help - thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Bump - need help, thx

HP Recommended

FYI, the GTX 980 is UEFI vBIOS.  The out-of-lease Business class Z800 was last issued WIN 7, so the motherboard is Legacy BIOS.  UEFI cards will not work in a Legacy motherboard.  During all these various swaps,(RAM/GPU cards) did you leave the power plug attached to the rear?  If so, damage could result to the motherboard. Understanding PSU light.

Bumping is considered desperation, and also an insult.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

GTX 980 has been working in it for a little over month. Problem just went from very occasional to constant. The Quadro card it came with has the same result. And no video card has the same result.

No - I didn't leave the power plugged in during any of the harware swaps. I removed the power module entirely before each is it can contain additional power as well. 

I had found that same "Understanging PSU light" guide but thats where I wasn't clear if it coming on and going right back off counted as "turning on". The verbage makes it sound like it should come on, and stay on. My light comes on with the entire PSU for about half a second and then the entire thing shuts off again (including light) for about 8 seconds, then it happens again. So still not sure if its the PSU as it does atleast come on for a short time.

HP Recommended

The PSU should not cycle. As this is a Business machine, you might be better served on their forum.

https://community.hpe.com/

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Dklea7
Thank you for posting on HP Forums, your issue with the HP Z800 is classified as a commercial product (business line).

Our Commercial Support Team does not provide assistance via this platform.
If you require immediate assistance, you will need to log a case with our Commercial Support Team.

Click here for details.

Let me know if you require further information and/or assistance.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.