Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

There are still ways.  You can borrow a Windows 7 install disk from someone, if you know a friend that has a disk. Use the  COA sticker on the install.  If there is not a friend then HERE is a place that has proven good in the past.  Just use the Windows ISO Downloader tool they provide and pick Windows 7 Home Premium.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
So I downloaded windows to a pen but as it is a USB 3.0 Kingston seems the computer doenst like it and gives me a strange error when choosing the disk on the beginning of Windows setup, I will try and get a 2.0 and try again tomorrow.

I tried once more with the dvds I created when I bought the machine and the error it gives is:

"The windows setup was unable to configure windows to run on this computer's hardware"

The only diferente from the original setup is I changed the HDD (faulty) WD green to a WD blue... Both have 1tb
HP Recommended

When going thru the process of making the pendrive, for the Microsoft site it will make it for you.  I am not so sure of "downloaded windows to a pen" actually makes it bootable.  Look at the files on the pendrive with file explorer.  If it shows an ISO file, then it was not done correctly.

As for the HP Recovery disk set - it should not be upset about the hard drive being changed.  If that is all that has changed, and it still complains, then there might not be any alternative other than making a clean install from Windows install media.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
I used yumi a software that builds a bootable pen
HP Recommended

Well, you could make a DVD install disk also, in case the pen drive doesn't work for you, just for a choice to see if one of them works.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
Yeah got like 6 pens and 0 dvds 😉
HP Recommended

Just a thought is all.  Some PC's do not like to boot from flash pens drives for some reason.  You can get a few DVD's for pennies US.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

So it worked, with a USB 2.0 it installed fine (a fresh copy) it did accept the windows key. Now I'm just missing the HP software that came with machine and no, there is none to download at the model drivers in HP, but now I can have a new HDD and that is just fine.

Thanks a lot for all the help 😉

HP Recommended

Glad it worked.  As to the HP software - if you know the names of the ones that did benefit the PC, you can Google for them and then still get them from HP.  I am pretty sure the software is available on the HP ftp servers, if you know where to look and what it is named.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.