Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP SimpleSave HD hpmd1000h
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been a successful user of the HP External HD Backup system SimpleSave. After recently installing Windows 10 Upgrade from 8.1, I have just discovered that the system is not operating and seems to have been irreversably Disabled under Windows 10. It had been plugged in a USB 3.0 slot but also does not work in USB 2.0 slot. In Task Manager it does not respond to the Enable selection. No Contents of the drive are visible/accessible. Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JohnDubyaH

These Drives -- and the software on them -- have a tendency to fail after this long regardless of the Operating System.  That is not to say that connecting the setup to Windows 10 did not have a negative impact on the drive / software -- the hardware is vintage and the software was never intended to run on this advanced OS.

You might try finding a system running an older OS - say Windows 7 - and see if you can recover / again see the data on the drive.

The words "might try" are deliberate -- this may or may not work.

Assuming you can ever again see the data on the Drive, back up the data immediately to another disk / NAS / something.

I am one of many who found out the hard way about the "sudden death" syndrome.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JohnDubyaH

These Drives -- and the software on them -- have a tendency to fail after this long regardless of the Operating System.  That is not to say that connecting the setup to Windows 10 did not have a negative impact on the drive / software -- the hardware is vintage and the software was never intended to run on this advanced OS.

You might try finding a system running an older OS - say Windows 7 - and see if you can recover / again see the data on the drive.

The words "might try" are deliberate -- this may or may not work.

Assuming you can ever again see the data on the Drive, back up the data immediately to another disk / NAS / something.

I am one of many who found out the hard way about the "sudden death" syndrome.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.