Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have setup a new system for the user and installed the 3.6.1 scanner software for the Scanjet 7000.  While I can get the accounting software to work with the scanner just fine I can't get the buttons to function.  When the button is pressed it comes up with a box stating the the buttons need to have profiles assigned to them. However I can't as the scanner in the tool shows a red circle with a white X in it as well as along side all the profiles.  The user is setup as admin. 

edited to clean up the horrible engrish 😃

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Got it working.  First turn off the scanner. I had to remove all the updated software, reboot, run ccleaner and install version 2.7 of the software.  What was interesting is that during the install it said that it had to overwrite some read only files that were left behind by the version 3.6.1 of the software.  Now this shouldn't happen for two reasons, first the files shouldn't have been set to read only and second they should have been removed when the uninstall of 3.6.1 was run.  I would speculate that because the files were set to read only that was why I couldn't do anything with the button profiles on the scanner.  

The HP scan tools 3.6.1 clearly has multiple bugs in it and should be removed from the downloads and either a fixed version put up or an older working version. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please use hard reset from the following instructions:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bpia2332&printable=yes&produc...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

That would be nice if it happened to be a HP Jornada 420, 430, and 430se or any of the other PDAs listed there.  This is a Scanjet 7000 however so none of the solutions listed for those devices will work with it.  

HP Recommended

Hi DX,

This may not be the solution either, but there are two items in the category "ScanJet 7000" and I picked one of them.

Here is the document:

HP Scanjet 7000/5000 - Reset the scanner

Here is the Informaton for the device:

HP Scanjet 7000 Sheet-feed Scanner

• Note that on the left side of the page is the category for Download Drivers and Software.  If your device is "acting up" and just will not cooperate, it may benefit from having the driver reinstalled (assuming such exists for your OS).

As mentioned, there is one other scanner in the 7000 category -- if the above does not what you seek, you could try looking up the information on your own.

Start at

Support and Drivers
and go from there...

I hope this is helpful.

Good Luck!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry, HP doco guys/girls need to do their homework here. Not one but at least two errors as shown:

scanjet7000.png

scanj7000.png

Please use the following method, same for 7000 series:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01871805&jumpi...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I had already followed the Reset the scanner document to no avail. I'll start removing and reinstalling however it has been my experience that this doesn't work most of the time in unrelated scanner issues.  I'll try it with this particular problem.  I'll update as soon as I get a chance. 

HP Recommended

Sorry banhien but that is for the Scanjet 7000n.  On the Scanjet 7000 the LCD display says "See computer for Tools"

When you open the tools there is no option listed to do that kind of reset only to reset page counts.

HP Recommended

Also removing the software and drivers, rebooting, running ccleaner, reinstalling the drivers and the software didn't work. I should note that this scanner was working prefectly on the old XP system it had been running on.  I can run the scanner just fine in our accounting software on the brand new system.  It is only when trying to do anything with the buttons functions on the new computer that doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Well, the scanner could need service.

There is only so much that one can do from the "software" side. 

These things do suffer hardware failures on occasion.

Sad, but true.

I am not going to get into a defence war on whether that happened, or whether it should happen - it is just a possiblity... it does sound like you have done some homework and the scanner still does not work.  :indifferent:

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

mmm well I can grab the scanner and hook it up to the old XP system in my office to see if it still works the way it should or not this afternoon. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.