Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hpe-570t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've been trying to install / get Acronis True Image to play nice with my SSD. The one thing they say is make sure that the SSD is operating in the same mode as your HDD. i.e. if they are ACHI, then both of them  have to be ACHI.

How can I find out?  Do both drives have to be installed? Right now only C: drive is installed.

Thanks in advance,

Chef_D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since I don't have your model PC, unfortunately, I wouldn't know where you need to look.

There should be a storage menu or something similar, and that will have the drive controller setting option.

As I posted earlier, each drive can only run in the mode the BIOS is set to.

For example, it is impossible to run one drive in achi mode and one in ide mode.  There is only one drive controller setting in the BIOS and that setting pertains to all drives.

And both drives do not need to be installed to determine what drive controller setting is enabled.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The drives will all run in the same mode (AHCI, RAID or IDE).

You can tell which mode your current hard drive is running in by going to the device manager, click to expand the IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers device manager category, and there you will find the name and model number of the Intel SATA AHCI Controller listed, which will indicate the Controller is set to AHCI.

If the controller is set to RAID, there will be a Storage Controllers device manager category.  Click to expand that, and you will see the model Intel SATA RAID Controller listed there.

Most likely the drive controller is set to AHCI.

You can also check your PC's BIOS boot menu and find what setting the drive controllers are set to.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

Where would I look in BIOS? Granted, I have an old machine, but where in the BIOS would I find this information, (to confirm that both the hard drive and the SSD are running in the same mode?

Do both need to be installed?

Thx in advance,

Chef_D

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since I don't have your model PC, unfortunately, I wouldn't know where you need to look.

There should be a storage menu or something similar, and that will have the drive controller setting option.

As I posted earlier, each drive can only run in the mode the BIOS is set to.

For example, it is impossible to run one drive in achi mode and one in ide mode.  There is only one drive controller setting in the BIOS and that setting pertains to all drives.

And both drives do not need to be installed to determine what drive controller setting is enabled.

HP Recommended

I didn't know that the mode shown in the BIOS would control all drives.

Thanks Paul for straightening that out.

Chef_D

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.