Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion dv6.

I want to play games that require you to move with the some of the keys and aim with the touchpad.

My touchpad has an automatic setting to be disablde while I'm typing though.
I've seen so many forum posts that are asking how to get there touchpad to do what mine is doing and I can't find a forum that talks about how to enable it.
I've searched everywhere under my control panel for an option to turn this off.

I want my touchpad to still work while i'm typing, how do I change this setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What you want to do is move the PalmCheck settings to minimum. You will need to go to Start, type "Mouse" in the Search bar, click on Mouse in the search results, click on the Device Settings tab in the Mouse Properties window, Click on the Settings button, click the expand for Pointing, the expand for Sensitivity, Select PalmCheck, and move the bar in the upper right window down to Minimum, then click Apply!

I work for HP

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

What you want to do is move the PalmCheck settings to minimum. You will need to go to Start, type "Mouse" in the Search bar, click on Mouse in the search results, click on the Device Settings tab in the Mouse Properties window, Click on the Settings button, click the expand for Pointing, the expand for Sensitivity, Select PalmCheck, and move the bar in the upper right window down to Minimum, then click Apply!

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I figured it out, and I changed it!  I didn't do it exactly how you said it, but i turned something off and then tested it out and it worked! 😄  Thank you! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 the expand for Sensitivity, Select PalmCheck, and move the bar in the upper right window down to Minimum, then click Apply!

I expanded the pointing but on my computer, I can't expand the sensitivity. 
But I did find the Palmcheck Enchanced-ACM a few rows down and I clicked the settings symbol next to it and this adjustable bar came up.  It said 'off' at the left end and 'max' at the right end, so i moved it to off then clicked apply and tested it out and it works now!  I can use the touchpad while holding down keys! 😄  Thank you again!

HP Recommended

Glad I could help!! Happy gaming!!

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Please mark this post as SOLVED if you are happy with your resolution!! Thanks!!

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Sorry, when I go into device settings, there is no expand button for pointing. I am really at a loss and have been searching the internet for the past 2 weeks for a solution. Can you  help?

HP Recommended

If i go to control panel, and I go on mouse settings, I cannot find the touchpad or Palmcheck settings. All that comes up is buttons, pointers, pointer options, wheel, hardware and device settings. I play games such as minecraft and I really need this fixed ASAP! Help!

HP Recommended

Okay guys and gals. With "newer" HP Laptops, in order for your mouse to be able to move while you are pressing a key on your keyboard is to disable "Smartsense" All you do is go to the control panel, mouse, clickpad settings tab, clickpad settings button, under "pointing" you will find "Smartsense". Click on the gear next to it to open the settings for it. Lastly, slide the slider all the way to the left until it says "off". There you go. That should do it. I searched and searched the internet for the answer for this and could not find one. So I figured it out and decided to post it.

HP Recommended

I am curious about the SmartSense and moving the mouse while "typing."  I have found that and turned it off, which works great.  But, I have games that require me to click and move while using the keyboard at the same time.  For whatever reason, the clicking doesn't work when combined with the "typing" in the game I am playing.  Is there another feature to disable that will allow clicking while "typing?"

HP Recommended

mouse.png

And YouTube Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsnX1qB3jI8

Windows 7 used in tutorial, worked perfectly fine with Windows 8.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.