Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm also having this problem. Turning 'smartsense' off doesn't solve it.  Really infuriating if you play any games that need both keyboard and mouse.

HP Recommended

i did these steps but im still having some problems. it got better but it still does the same thing.

HP Recommended

IT DOESNT WORK, I turn the stupid smatpalm off and the problem still happens. Help.

HP Recommended

Hi, hon, using hon as sarcastically as possible. Your little display of frustration was great, but here's the thing. UYour first sentence really just proved you are in no position to proivde an answer at all. You know why? 

You don't use win 10.

You know, which is the OS where turning off smartsense/palmcheck does not work. 

Adjusting smartsense to minimum does nothing because there's some issue with the synaptics driver that prevents it from ever actually turning the living hell off. Which means you're stuck with it on no matter how many times people say 'turn off smart sense'. Yes, well, you see, it already is off, and we're here frustrated because the same answer keeps getting regurgitated back to us. An answer which, my dear, does not work.  So. 'Dude.' Go back, read the answers where we say it does not work. Or scroll up. See the answers posted. 

TA-da! Turning off smart sense is no help. We cannot play league! :smileyembarrassed:

...sorrry I got frustrated. 

Now, I've dug into the regedit files and tried turning off the palmcheck settings mnaually, and resetting them to zero, but it appears even on a new attempt they reset to a default setting of sixteen or so, and even in my HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft >Windows > CurrentVersion > PrecisionTouchPad> AAPThreshold is set to zero, it still seems to automatically run the palmcheck/smartsense. I'm at wit's end. Further digging provides me with a mystifying bunch of numbers and a whole setting under my synaptics folder that even points to palmcheck, but cannot seem to be modified. 

So. Anyone? Help? Please? 

HP Recommended

HOWEVER. I have found a makeshift solution for some sort of a hotfix, even if it's not an actual answer. 

Hold a key, then press 'SHIFT and you can move the mouse while the key is held. It means you have to 'key'+'shift' every time you want to use the touchpad and a key shortcut at the same time, and if you've keybound shift, you're SOL, but it is a workaround for desperate gamers looking for a solution temporarily, and who are truly against using an external mouse.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem, nothing works that has been suggested. Would of thought they would of made something simple for things like this

HP Recommended

It's pretty funny how you work for hp and I just bought a new hp laptop with the same problem and it doesn't work, I open sensitivity and it don't open it just takes me straight to the touch sensitivity slider and does nothing

HP Recommended

I have the same exact problem, running Windows 10 and have turned SmartSense off, disabled all touchpad options and still cannot play games that combine mouse and keyboard, which is ALMOST EVERY PC GAME. Symptoms are the same as others have described, that the touchpad quits after about a second. Also, the directional keys work fine with the mouse. I'm wondering if this problem affects other laptops with Win10, I am using the Spectre 360. This seriously needs to be fixed, I didn't pay $1200 for a laptop and upgrade to Windows 10 which was promised to be the greatest thing ever, to not be able to play games without an external pointing device! I am often on the couch with my laptop, where using an external mouse is not practical.

HP Recommended

After going on three months I caved and just purchased an older Acer that is fast enough to run the games I play.  How terribly sad HP.  No fixes exist in the universe for this little BUT major problem which affects nearly all gamers.  The PC will be going back to Walmart.  This is so stupid.

HP Recommended

A solution…

Since the common solutions (setting win 10 to “no delay”- & turning off synaptics “smart sense”) doesn’t work for many of us – I had to spend hours searching for a needle in a haystack. Luckily more intelligent people than myself has actually came up with an solution solving this headache of a problem. I’m now spreading that solution so more people can start using the mouse and the keyboard at the same time.

Let me quote:

Solution:
In the Registry, go to the key 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults, and set the value of all string entries of the form PalmKms…, to 0. (Of course, they probably don't all need to be 0, but have fun finding out which one(s) you actually need!) These values determine the amount of ms that the touchpad stays disabled after keyboard input has been detected.

In my own case I turned them all off at first, and through the method of trial and error I found that only the first three keys were necessary to set to value “0” for it to work. I also found that the changes won’t start working until the computer is rebooted.

Therefore don’t forget: You actually have to restart windows for it to work.

Here’s also another solution found to the synaptics “RESETTING OF CHANGES” made, every time one reboot the system.

Quote:

1. Type WIN+R and start "regedit" (or simply use the Windows Search and type regedit).
  2. Confirm that you're an admin (a window may pop up).
  3. Navigate to KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install
  4. Change DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade from 1 to 0
  5. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPCpl
  6. Change RestoreAllDefaultsfrom 1 to 0
  7. Now you can change the ClickPad-Settings (of course, they will not be deleted after a restart, and you can change them as many times as you want to)

Good luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.