Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP really wants to make you think you are crazy.

Since my pavillion desktop was new there has been something wrong with one of the fans.  Sometimes when you come out of sleep mode a fan will run and never stop.

I called support when it first haqppened and he ran me through some diagnostics and the result was "the cooling fan is functioning properly".  For the life of me I can't remember where he had me go to run it but I don't think it was through Troubleshooting in HP Support.  I think it was at F9 or something when starting up.

So it's really hot here and I want to get this resolved so I call back and not one of the techs knows of a diagnostic to tell if the fan is functioning?  Huh?  The guy four months ago had me run it first thing.  Why can't they now tell me again how to run it?

Does anyone know?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
Would you please provide your unit Product Number or Model? Also BIOS revision would be nice to have. Without this information it is difficult to try helping you.
HP Recommended

p6608f  BV619AA

BIOS 6.12  07/12/10

I'm really trying to find the diagnostic the tech had me run.  It was a good tool and am shocked that when I call HP now no one knows about it.

HP Recommended
For the Diags from BIOS you should hit F9 on POST. You can use DIAGS from within HPSA. You should find HPSA icon on your Desktop or in Start-All Programs. If you will explore HP folder in the root directory you may find something like HP Diagnostics where an ISO Image should be available enabling you to burn bootable CD with OS independant diagnostics. Regarding the fan running high on wake up from S3 pls keep checking next BIOS release which usually is solving this kind of issues.
HP Recommended

So I assume the BIOS is the most current.

In HPSA there is a tool "HP System Board Check".  Perhaps this is what he had me run but I remember it being more specific to the fan(s) operation.  Any idea if that tool exists?

When I do the "SP System Board Check" the loud fan I hear after coming out of sleep comes on for a few seconds during the test.  The test reports no problems.

HP Recommended
I would wait for BIOS 6.13 and read the fixes implemented.
HP Recommended

Were you ever able to get an answer about running a fan specific diag?  I am having fan issues with my machine.

HP Recommended

pagnmickie,

Please do not hi-jack a thread.

When you repost, can you specify the model# and what the fan is doing.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi again,

For some reason BIOS later than 6.12 was not published on HP.com.

Current revision is 6.16. I have tried to address this with responsible team. Give it few days and check SW and Drivers updates for your product.

HP Recommended
hi,
Left side to touch pad of my lap getting heated up while playing movie..
My lap details
Pavilion dv6 6154tx
OS WINDOWS 7 64bit home premium
Bios ver F.1B
May i know possible cause for same
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.