Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 8000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

There seems to be space below the DVD drive. Is it possible to install a backup HD there? The motherboard has spare Sata connectors.

Thanks,

Ed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, thanks a lot for all the help.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Which HP 8000 are you talking about? Can you give us a full model number?

I don't run HP, I just like helping others!

i7-3770 / MSI Z87-G43 / 16GB PNY DDR3 / Aorus RX580 / Ultra X4 750W / Sandisk U110 250GB SSD and 2x WD Velociraptors 300GB / Antec 1100 V2 / NZXT Respire T40 / Corsair SP120 RGB
HP Recommended

Sorry, it's SFF, E 8400

HP Recommended

No problem. If your PC does not have a card reader in that slot, you can indeed put in a standard 3.5 inch HDD. I suggest Western Digital. What storage size were you looking for?

i7-3770 / MSI Z87-G43 / 16GB PNY DDR3 / Aorus RX580 / Ultra X4 750W / Sandisk U110 250GB SSD and 2x WD Velociraptors 300GB / Antec 1100 V2 / NZXT Respire T40 / Corsair SP120 RGB
HP Recommended

Hi there esebm1 🙂 Welcome to the community! 

As TheN00bBuilder suggested, you should be able to fit a second drive in your case for backup and redundancy purposes. I would also suggest considering a WD drive, more specifically a WD Blue drive for this purpose. 

One note from me: having an internal drive for pure backup purposes isn't the best idea as this doesn't grant you safety against power outages, PC failures or external damage. For a true and safe backup I would suggest to consider having your data on an external drive and perform daily/weekly backups if the data that you want to keep safe. Something like WD Elements Portable or WD My Passport should do the job. 

Also, have you considered a NAS as a possible backup storage location? Feel free to ask if you need more info on that. 🙂

Captain_WD.

HP Recommended

Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I have a bunch of WD drives lying around (between 300 and 500GB) , I'll use one of those. I also have an external USB personal cloud drive connected so I'm covered.

Will there be power supply issues when I install a second drive?

I might have to update the power supply anyway because I want to install a discrete graphics card.

HP Recommended

The drives, oddly enough, are powered off the board. For a PSU upgrade, I do not think it is possible with that case and custom pinout on the board. And to power the internal HDD in the inside, you will need to buy a power splitter. The PSU is 240W stock, which is plenty for 3 drives, and the rest of the PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200468&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KN...

HP Recommended

How about installing a graphics card? E.G. an EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3‏(LP)?

Would that card overwhelm the power supply?

Thanks for all the help.

Ed‏

HP Recommended

It shouldn't if its powered off the motherboard alone.

HP Recommended

Yes, it's powered by the MoBo.

Would it work on win 10?

I've had that same card installed on a Dell Optiplex 780 running win 10 and it did not work, kept crashing all the time.

Could you recommend a similar card in that price range that will work on win 10?

Thanks,

Ed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.