Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Phoenix Model #: h9-1215t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I bought a graphics card a while ago to install in my PC, however it was many times larger than my old one and it took up a lot more space in the case (not that there was much space to begin with anyways). Because of this, my computer kept warming up way more than it used to, and by the time I had noticed this, it was too late for me to return it. So now I'm stuck with a graphics card sitting in my closet and I would like to put it to use. I was wondering if there was any way that I could connect it externally or if I would have to buy a whole new computer case and build a computer from scratch in order to use it. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to read this, and I  patiently await a response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Was the additional heat produced by the new graphics card causing system instability? How did you measure the change in thermal efficiency?

No. You cannot connect the card externally.

The graphics card is designed to connect to a PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard.

Yes, you would have to build a PC using a larger mid tower case or full tower case having additional fans to remove the additional heat generated by this graphics card.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Was the additional heat produced by the new graphics card causing system instability? How did you measure the change in thermal efficiency?

No. You cannot connect the card externally.

The graphics card is designed to connect to a PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard.

Yes, you would have to build a PC using a larger mid tower case or full tower case having additional fans to remove the additional heat generated by this graphics card.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

I don't mind buying a new PC case, I was just hoping there would be an easier way. Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it!   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.