Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a618x Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows XP

Sir's I'm writing about a old Pavilon a618x Desktop Machine (PC [32bit]) I'm upgrading from XP Basic to Win 7 32Bit. I'd like to get the Drivers (Chipset, BIOS, and other Utility Drivers)... "BUT" there Not avalible from your site anymore. Is there any way I can get these Driver again, or are they obsolete. Thank You.............

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sir's I guess the Machine has seen it's day, no hope ? Since 2003 (I think) I bought it new. Kept good care of it. I hate to see it go.  Out to the Trash in the morning ???????? Could use a second Monitor...............  Thank you for saving me some time and effort by not trying to Upgrading....

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion a618x (PC123A) Computer was introduced about 15 years ago.  

PATA/IDE used for HDD/ODD and floppy drive era.  RAM limited to 2 GB (32-bit).

HP Pavilion a618x desktop computer uses the

Asus A7V8X-LA Rev 2.02 motherboard with AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2088 MHz) CPU

http://www.ctechinfo.net/documentation/manuals/kamet2_manual.pdf
HP P/N : 5187-4913
Asus P/N : A7V8X-LA Rev 2.02

HP and Asus (their OEM motherboard supplier) don't support Windows 7 with this motherboard.

Don't waste your time and dollars with a Windows 7 OS upgrade -- ILL ADVISED.

Microsoft Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Windows 7 support will disappear in next 2-3 years.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

====

I gifted my parents the HP a300y (D7222C) model in 2002 (Windows XP).

They stopped using this computer ~ 2008.

Today, I use this HP a300y case -- BUT it was gutted and extensively updated.

New 450W Corsair power supply, Intel DH87RL motherboard, i7-4770S processor,

new DVD, fans, and SanDisk SSD.  

That computer now uses Windows 10 Pro, Anniversary Edition. 

IMG_0206.JPG

HP Pavilion a000 (Panther) case/chassis series.

Weakness in this design is the Power Button.

Instead of using standard metal string for momentary push button design (Standard in industry)

The HP a000 bezel designer used plastics, which fails under repeated usage.

You have to replace entire bezel, for that repair  ~$50 USD.

HP Recommended

Sir's I guess the Machine has seen it's day, no hope ? Since 2003 (I think) I bought it new. Kept good care of it. I hate to see it go.  Out to the Trash in the morning ???????? Could use a second Monitor...............  Thank you for saving me some time and effort by not trying to Upgrading....

HP Recommended

Actually, I like the case (design) ... which is why I kept it.

15 years of usage, before updating is quite good.

My 2014 update added 2 Wi-Fi antennas for WLAN usage, hidden under the front and top plastic bezels.

Your HP computer has value for parts (as opposed to trash).  I send old computers to Goodwill store, which has a computer parts recycling operation.  A front bezel (clean condition) is worth $40 to $50 on parts market.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.