Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550 179na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this computer a week ago and am using the keyboard and mouse that came with it.

The keyboard has started to type a letter multiple times even though the key is only pressed once....... 

Does anybody have any ideas why this is happening please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@GillyB

Assuming for the moment that the issue is not in some way related to any other problems you have experienced, that you have installed / updated the HP Drivers, and that your Operating System is otherwise behaving itself (lots of "if this and that"), then the following might be useful to help you adjust the keyboard settings.

• First, try simply adjusting the keyboard settings for "repeat rate":

Control Panel > icon view > Ease of Acess > Make the keyboard easier to use >

scroll down, click Keyboard settings > adjust as desired

• If this is not enough -- or does not provide the kind of response you seek, then try:

Check Turn on Filter Keys > adjust settings to find one that works for you

Ease_of_Access-Keyboard-Filter_Keys_1.JPG

Related Thread:

Keyboard has a tendency to repeat keystrokes making accurate typing challenging

Fancy_Lines_1.jpg

In the event that the answers you receive here do not provide the solution AND / OR if you believe the issue is actually related to a hardware issue, you have the option to contact HP Technical Support. 

HP Contact Information – Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts -  USA / Canada

Contact HP – USA - Assistance

HP Tech support/ Customer Service  – Some English Speaking Countries

Including UK and Europe

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@GillyB

Assuming for the moment that the issue is not in some way related to any other problems you have experienced, that you have installed / updated the HP Drivers, and that your Operating System is otherwise behaving itself (lots of "if this and that"), then the following might be useful to help you adjust the keyboard settings.

• First, try simply adjusting the keyboard settings for "repeat rate":

scroll down, click Keyboard settings > adjust as desired

• If this is not enough -- or does not provide the kind of response you seek, then try:

Check Turn on Filter Keys > adjust settings to find one that works for you

Ease_of_Access-Keyboard-Filter_Keys_1.JPG

Related Thread:

Keyboard has a tendency to repeat keystrokes making accurate typing challenging

Fancy_Lines_1.jpg

In the event that the answers you receive here do not provide the solution AND / OR if you believe the issue is actually related to a hardware issue, you have the option to contact HP Technical Support. 

HP Contact Information – Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts -  USA / Canada

Contact HP – USA - Assistance

HP Tech support/ Customer Service  – Some English Speaking Countries

Including UK and Europe

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you very muchhhhh, wiiiilllll giiiiiiive thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhat      a      go......taking me ages just to type this, had to keep going bacbacbacbacbacback tok tok tok tok to ameeeeeend, gave up in the end ..!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your response, I have adjusted the keyboard settings and so far so good !!!!  

HP Recommended

@GillyB

Excellent!

Happy Typing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

how you can fix this multiple letter issue if you cannot log in to your laptop? I currently have this problem with Win 7 in my less than 6 month old HP eliteBook 820 G3

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

This is only helpful for slow typing..if we need for fast typing and coding it is not good. I changed my keyboard many times and found same multiple keys problems in esch keyboard. How can it be solved in a good way

HP Recommended

@NabinKawan 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

Please start a new thread of your own.

Tagging onto a two-year old thread limits your question's exporsure to a very tiny group of people that might happen to find your inquiry.

When you start your thread, please remember to provide the details about your equipment (model / OS), when / how the issue affects your work, and other information you believe to be helpful.

Brilliant Post - How to Ask Your Question

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.