Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2220t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Product name: HP Pavilion p6-2220t  Windows 7 64bit

Product number: B3F79AV#ABA

Motherboard:

• Manufacturer: Foxconn
  • Manufacturer name: H-Cupertino3-H61-uA TX
  • HP name: Cupertino3

Integrated LAN:

• Technology: RTL8171EH-CG gigabit Ethernet controller
  • Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100/1000 Mb/s
  • Transmission standards: 1000-Base-T Ethernet

I think a lightning strike just zapped my hard wire network adapter.  Everything else is fine, including the wireless network adapter.  But my computer does not even know it has a LAN adapter.   

It does not show up in Network and Sharing Center>Change adapter settings.  Only the Wireless Network Connection adapter is listed.

It does not show up in Control Panel>Device Manager>Network Adapters.  Again only the wireless adapter is listed.

My AT&T Modem is fine and the wireless router I have plugged into it is fine.  Lightning did not affect them. 

The modem webpage lists my pc under Home Network Devices but shows its status as “off”.  I suspect if I click scan for devices it would drop from the list because there seems to be no current communication between the modem and the ethernet adapter at this time.

I am however connected to the modem via my wireless router and from there connection to the internet is normal.  So I don’t think it is a modem problem.  This same modem is providing TV and Phone service as well.

I think for some reason only the wired adapter got zap and has disappeared.  And since there is no way for the computer to find it I don’t think I can load drivers or anything like that.  Also since it is an “integrated LAN” I think that may mean it is part of the mother board and I can’t just insert another adapter card.  I would not know how anyway.

1)  Does it sound like my adapter got killed?  Or is there some other way to diagnose its health when the computer does not even know it is there. (Usual tools find no problem as they only check the wireless connection because no other adapter is found.)

2)  Can I solve this by getting a USB Ethernet adapter rather than taking into the shop for repairs?  Especially if I would have to get a new motherboard.  BTW what does “integrated LAN” mean?

3) My USB ports are 2.0 so I know there is no need to get a faster USB Ethernet adapter.  But is there anything else I need to know about what is compatible with this computer?

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mpw101, welcome to the forum.

@mpw101 wrote:

Motherboard:

Integrated LAN:

I think a lightning strike just zapped my hard wire network adapter.  Everything else is fine, including the wireless network adapter.  But my computer does not even know it has a LAN adapter.   

It does not show up in Network and Sharing Center>Change adapter settings.  Only the Wireless Network Connection adapter is listed.

It does not show up in Control Panel>Device Manager>Network Adapters.  Again only the wireless adapter is listed.

My AT&T Modem is fine and the wireless router I have plugged into it is fine.  Lightning did not affect them. 

The modem webpage lists my pc under Home Network Devices but shows its status as “off”.  I suspect if I click scan for devices it would drop from the list because there seems to be no current communication between the modem and the ethernet adapter at this time.

I am however connected to the modem via my wireless router and from there connection to the internet is normal.  So I don’t think it is a modem problem.  This same modem is providing TV and Phone service as well.

I think for some reason only the wired adapter got zap and has disappeared.  And since there is no way for the computer to find it I don’t think I can load drivers or anything like that.  Also since it is an “integrated LAN” I think that may mean it is part of the mother board and I can’t just insert another adapter card.  I would not know how anyway.

1)  Does it sound like my adapter got killed?  Or is there some other way to diagnose its health when the computer does not even know it is there. (Usual tools find no problem as they only check the wireless connection because no other adapter is found.)  It does sound like the adapter was fried.  This is dificult to explain when nothing else appears to be damaged.  However, it is can happen.  I have seen some strange things happen with electricity.

2)  Can I solve this by getting a USB Ethernet adapter rather than taking into the shop for repairs?  Especially if I would have to get a new motherboard.  BTW what does “integrated LAN” mean?  Yes.  Here is a page from Amazon's website that lists several adapters.  I used a USB adapter with my HP Omen Gaming laptop and it worked fine.  Integrated LAN means that the Local Area Network adapter is a part of the motherboard and can't be replaced.

3) My USB ports are 2.0 so I know there is no need to get a faster USB Ethernet adapter.  But is there anything else I need to know about what is compatible with this computer?  You are correct.  Although, USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0.  No, any of the adapter should work.

Thank you for your help.  You are welcome!  I am glad to help.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@mpw101, welcome to the forum.

@mpw101 wrote:

Motherboard:

Integrated LAN:

1)  Does it sound like my adapter got killed?  Or is there some other way to diagnose its health when the computer does not even know it is there. (Usual tools find no problem as they only check the wireless connection because no other adapter is found.)  It does sound like the adapter was fried.  This is dificult to explain when nothing else appears to be damaged.  However, it is can happen.  I have seen some strange things happen with electricity.

2)  Can I solve this by getting a USB Ethernet adapter rather than taking into the shop for repairs?  Especially if I would have to get a new motherboard.  BTW what does “integrated LAN” mean?  Yes.  Here is a page from Amazon's website that lists several adapters.  I used a USB adapter with my HP Omen Gaming laptop and it worked fine.  Integrated LAN means that the Local Area Network adapter is a part of the motherboard and can't be replaced.

3) My USB ports are 2.0 so I know there is no need to get a faster USB Ethernet adapter.  But is there anything else I need to know about what is compatible with this computer?  You are correct.  Although, USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0.  No, any of the adapter should work.

Thank you for your help.  You are welcome!  I am glad to help.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your quick response to all my questions.  I will get a USB Ethernet adapter.  But I would like to ask one more thing.

Some years ago when I had a fan problem a Tech walked me thru resetting the “bios” to default.  I clicked f-10 rapidly and continuously as computer restarted and then used down arrow on the keyboard to select “reset bios to default and exit”  Then I clicked enter.

In my reading since this post there were some suggestions that it could be a bios problem.  After the lightning strike I turned the computer back on, it had shut down.  The computer said it recommended a “repair start” and I did what was recommended and hit enter.  There was a lot more on the black screen but the seconds were ticking away and I did not get it all.

Is it possible this “repair start” could have done something to the bios and do you think it might help to reset the bios to default by the above stated method?  I don’t know how to open the bios and see if the adapter is even there much less whether it is turned on or off.  But on would be the likely default I would think.

Your time in answering this follow up question is greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @mpw101.

I don't believe that the "repair" would have affected your BIOS, but stranger things have happened.  You should be able to enter the BIOS by tapping the F10 key.  If not, try tapping the Esc key when the computer begins to boot.  This will get you there through a different path.

HP Recommended

OMG!  I pressed F10 as the computer started and a window came up and I used the arrow keys to select "set to default and exit" and it asked if I was sure and I used the arrow keys again to select "yes" and I hit enter and my ethernet adapter is back. Unbelievable.  It was a change in the bios.

I really don't understand any of this but I am glad to be back to normal.  When the computer was doing the repair start it couldn't and asked if I wanted to use system restore to go to an earlier time and this was recommended so I clicked enter and I guess it did.  Maybe it went to bios that did not included the ethernet adapter.  Just a wild guess as I am really in over my head here.  But all is well and you have been very generous with your time.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Spoke too soon.  It went out again.  I guess it is damaged in some way.  Tried to set bios to default again and it did not work a second time.  Just a fluke the first time I guess.  I will get a USB ethernet adapter tomorrow.  Glad I also had a wireless adapter to fall back on.  Everything else works fine.

It is all frustrating because everything is plugged into an APC back up power source with surge protection.  Computer, modem, wireless router, all of it.  Still the Ethernet adapter got fried.

HP Recommended

@mpw101  The adapters are very fragile.  It wouldn't take much to fry one of them.  It doesn't surprise me at all.  The other components have a small amout of protection built-in.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your time and comfort.  BTW my neighbors just called.  The lightning got them too and they have no phone or internet so I guess I should be very happy I only lost the ethernet adapter.

HP Recommended

I am sorry for your neighbors, also.  I am always glad to help.

HP Recommended

First, one reason for buying a better brand machine is what exists to solve your problem.  Only better manufacturers provide hardware diagnostics so that you can know what is wrong - not just speculate.

Preinstalled on all HP laptops since 2009 and all HP desktops using a UEFI BIOS manufactured since June 2012, HP PC Hardware Diagnostics enables you to test the main components on your computer using quick tests or longer, more comprehensive tests. 

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl_...

With better information, the entire reason for damage could be better explained.  Since a properly configured house must suffer even direct lightning strikes without damage to any household appliance.

Using what little is provided, this could be one reason for both your damage and the neighbors.  Lightning struck AC power liones far down the street.  It was incoming to everything in both houses.  Lightning is electricity. To have damage means both an incoming and a completely different outgoing path to earth must exist.  One good outgoing path is via the network port, into a corresponding modem port, then out to earth via TV cable or phone line.  Since both phone and cable are required to have good earthed protection.

Damage is often on the outgoing path - ie ethernet port.  To say more required a hard fact such as the above diagnostic.  Damage may also be on that corresponding modem port.  Rest of a modem (even its Wifi) would remain undamaged.  Surge was not incoming and outgoing via that function.

Same would explain your neighbors damage.  A surge incoming to everything only found a best path to earth outgoing via their phone and internet hardware.

In both cases, damage is directly traceable to a human who did not properly earth incoming utility lines to a single point earth ground. If effective protection existed, then lightning was connected to earth BEFORE it entered the building.  Then everything inside was protected.  Current damage was a warning to properly earth a 'whole house' solution - to avert further damage.  This best and well proven solution on AC mains costs about $1 per protected appliance.

Apparently an  ethernet port is fried.  Ethernet ports are quite robust - can even withstand 2000 volts without damage. Diagnostics would have reported without speculation.  A new ethernet interface card can be installed by any layman who can use a screwdriver and follow the resulting directions on the screen.  Then move on to eliminate the reason for that damage so that it need not happen again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.