Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
500-326na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Firstly I don't have a stock system as listed avove. The upgrades I have made are the following:

PSU: 180W - Corsair 430W

GPU: Radeon R7 240 - EVGA GTX 960 SSC

CPU: AMD A8-6500 (locked) - AMD Athlon X4 760 (Upgraded stock cooler to Themalright AXP-100 Muscle)

Motherboard is stock (Up to date BIOS)

I am new to overclocking and having some problems. I have my GPU soreted but can't get my CPU done. Firstly I thought it might be an heat issue but I have upgraded the cooler and runs at 35C max on Ultra HD benchmark but still didn't fix my problem. Basically I have managed to get a stable 4.5GHz at 1.385V.  To get a higher frequency I need more voltage but as soon as I raise my voltage past 1.385V the CPU throttles right back.  Another thing to add is that no matter what I change the NB voltage to in the settings the actual voltage does not change which makes me wander if this is the problem.  Appreciate any thoughts?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hiya Archie

I just bought an HP with over clocking ability advertized. After some research it seems that the voltages have indeed been capped. Also I read that when you have overclocking enabled it disables the cpu's turbo.This may or may not be the case with your model. I think I'll just leave mine as is when it arrives.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

archie0979

Overcocking is a risky business -- I know because I have been doing it for a long time on a variety of PCs.

But NOT on HP systems.  Why?

Because to successfully overclock, you need very extensive BIOS/UEFI options.  Also, custom software can be used to accomplish a lot of this.

Such options are noticeably absent from OEM machine because, quite frankly, the OEM does not want you overclocking their machines.  I don't know if that would break the warranty on such machines, but I would not be surprised if it does.

These extensive options DO come on retail motherboards --as I have used then with ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards successfully, and in those cases, there is no OEM warranty to worry about.

The best website out there for overclocking help is HardOCP:  [H]ard|OCP - www.hardocp.com

Suggest you check with them for information.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Not really what I was asking buy I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am fully aware the HP won't want anyone messing with overclocking in their BIOS but as you say there are software programs to get round this which I have. Will check with some other forums for a productive answer.
HP Recommended

Hiya Archie

I just bought an HP with over clocking ability advertized. After some research it seems that the voltages have indeed been capped. Also I read that when you have overclocking enabled it disables the cpu's turbo.This may or may not be the case with your model. I think I'll just leave mine as is when it arrives.

HP Recommended
Thanks for your reply. You have confirmed my suspicions. It does indeed disable your turbo but I am using AMD overdrive and can just adjust the multiplier to compensate for this.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.