Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 450-A114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When we added the new Crucial 4 gig memory to the second slot (Crucial CT51264BF 160B G16FPR2 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM 1.35V CL11 C16) the system would not boot. Took out the orginal memeory and added the new memory to slot one and it booted fine. The second slot would not boot with the orginal memory. Any info here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After installing the exact part number for the second memory stick it works perfectly. We're in the process to contact Cruical and return the stick that didn't work. Grzwacz thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello

Maybe the problem is DDR 3L 1600 runs at 800 MHz clock rate and HP memory PC3L-10600 factory installed on your PC runs at 1333MHz.

You cannot use RAM running at different speed in memory slots at the same time.

PC will not boot when all memory sticks are not the same.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Do you know why the second memory slot is tan in color and the main is black. Does it matter? When we let Curcial scan the memory the chip that we got was recomanded. Thanks we'll take a look at the factory chip to make sure we match it.

HP Recommended

Hello

Some motherboards require only one memory module in a specific slot .

So your PC may only boot when the HP supplied memory is in the slot HP installed it in at the factory.

My system requires installing memory modules in slots B1 and B2 if two modules are being used. Then A1 for a third module and finally A2 for a fourth module.

One module needs to be installed in B1. B slots are grey, A slots are black.

The color of the memory slot matters.

Grzy

HP Recommended

I've read where this computer can handle 16 gig of memory is the correct.

HP Recommended

Hello Harley

Your PC supports up to 8 GB of memory.

Open Memory upgrade information at above HP Support site to see details.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Does HP have a support number to talk to a live body about how to see if slot 2 works. I also understand that you can only run 4 gig memory per slot. You can not run one 8 gig chip in slot 1 is the accurate?

HP Recommended

Hello

Go to this HP Support site and click Contact Support. Then follow directions.

That is correct. Your PC can use two four GB modules of same speed and timings. Eight GB's of memory is total limit for this model.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Thanks for all your help.

HP Recommended

Hello Harley

You are welcome.

Hope you get this sorted out.

I think if you get correct second stick of RAM then you can try both sticks with good result.

I am surprised Crucial recommended the wrong RAM. I have bought many HP RAM upgrades from Crucial and never had a compatibilty problem.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.