Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 850-065SE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Computer:  Envy 850-065SE (4 memory slots)

Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS V F4-2133C15D-32GVR DDR4-2133 CL 15-15-15-36 1.2 v 2*16GB

I just purchased 32 GB (2*16) G.SKILL RIPJAWS V F4-2133C15D-32GVR DDR4-2133 CL 15-15-15-36 1.2 v memory to upgrade my HP desktop (Envy 850-065SE model). My desktop has HP 2B3A motherboard and i7-5820k and HaswellE chipset. The factory memory is Samsung brand with DDR4-2133 configuration.

When I replaced the samsung memory (factory brand) with G.SKILL ones, the computer could not start with black screen. When i switched back to factory memory, the computer is back to normal. 

Does it mean G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 16GB memoryis not compatible with the motherboard of this HP computer ? or upgrading the BIOS can solve this issue? or should i return these memory and get 8GB*2 instead? Your comments are very much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That model is limited to only 4 GB and 8 GB modules in the slot.

HP part #

798033-001 Memory - DIMM, 4GB, PC4-17000, CL15, DDR4        COMPLY_2.07 

798034-001  Memory - DIMM, 8GB, PC4-17000, CL15, DDR4       COMPLY_2.07 

You can shop the 8GB modules on-line.  Look at the tech specs on this item.

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Kingston-DDR4-8-GB-DIMM-288-pin/3912220.aspx#PO

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

HP motherboards have very tight RAM upgrade and configuration options.

There is nothing you can do in BIOS, no tweaking of BIOS settings or a BIOS update that I am aware of, to make the G.Skill memory initialize.

I use Crucial when adding or upgrading memory on HP systems. Have never had a compatibility problem but timing options with Crucial memory are limited to HP's motherboard specifications.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

That model is limited to only 4 GB and 8 GB modules in the slot.

HP part #

798033-001 Memory - DIMM, 4GB, PC4-17000, CL15, DDR4        COMPLY_2.07 

798034-001  Memory - DIMM, 8GB, PC4-17000, CL15, DDR4       COMPLY_2.07 

You can shop the 8GB modules on-line.  Look at the tech specs on this item.

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Kingston-DDR4-8-GB-DIMM-288-pin/3912220.aspx#PO

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Notwithstanding the purchasing of memory modules exceeding HP specifications of a maximum of 8GB modules, I believe the G.Skill modules may not work on your PC even if you had purchased 4GB or 8Gb modules.

I could be wrong. 

You will have to try it to verify this.

I have never had a compatibility problem when using Crucial RAM on an HP PC. I have five HP Computers; two Notebooks, and three Desktops. Also built a custom system ( Asrock Fatality X99 Professional/3.1) having unlimited CPU and memory overclocking capabilities. I am using G.Skill memory on this custom system with no problems.

HP recommends Crucial when replacing or upgrading memory modules.

Crucial will give you compatible memory upgrades when you provide your system product number.

No guessing and it just works.

If you want to tweak memory performance in BIOS with faster timings and modify voltage settings then build a system and select a motherboard that is capable of doing this.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.