Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP P6570T
Microsoft Windows XP

I'm buying a new (additional) graphics card for my friend with this HP desktop, so that he can add a third monitor to his setup. The existing 2 monitors are on the graphics card that came with the setup itself. Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz 3.07 GHz 10.0 GB memory 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor 

Can someone recommend compatible graphics cards for a remaining PCI or PCIe slot on this model? This is not for gaming or animation of anything heavy duty: simply a 3rd monitor to keep a browser window or MS Word open in.

I'm not sure if this would require a powered graphics card, a passive card, etc.

I tried HP Sales and they didn't know, so they sent me to Parts, who didn't know the answer so they sent me to the Tech Support people -- where you have to register and pay a fee in order for them to tell you which card you should buy!  Crazy.

Anyhow, if anyone can recommend what would work for me, thank you very much.

Kirby

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The SUPPORT PAGE for that model's motherboard shows a single PCIExpress x 16 slot, which means there is no support for another video card.  The most probable solution would be to use a USB to DVI device similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AIJE9G?psc=1

Since the 3rd monitor is to keep a browser window or MS Word open in.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The SUPPORT PAGE for that model's motherboard shows a single PCIExpress x 16 slot, which means there is no support for another video card.  The most probable solution would be to use a USB to DVI device similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AIJE9G?psc=1

Since the 3rd monitor is to keep a browser window or MS Word open in.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I am so glad I asked.... thank you so much!  It's a great Xmas present.  🙂

HP Recommended

A last question, if I may?  The adapter itself doesn't need to be powered or plugged in, right? It's OK that is' "passive"?

Kirby

HP Recommended

The adapter is powered by the USB port, so it is not passive.  More than likely will need a driver installed but should work with WinXP per the information on the device page I linked.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you sir!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.