Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 510-p136
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am replacing the existing graphics card in this machine with a gForce 1070. I need at least a 400W power supply though.

I purchased a Corsair 750W power supply, but this doesn't seem to work because the cable that connects to the mother board, i think for the CPU, is a 4 wire connector, and the new power supply has a minimum of 6

What is a beefier power supply that i *CAN* install in this machine to adequately power this card?

Thankyou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks - the power supply fit just barely, but the screw holes didn't line up. but regardless, i couldn't get the new card to seat due to the main connector to the POS being in the way. So i had no alternative but to get a new machine. Lesson learned: No more small form factors.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

From what I read elsewhere, you should still be able to use the power supply in question.  I personally did not try it, but others claim that you can use the pins on the 8pin connector that match up and let the others hang outdside the connector.  Some say, depending on the exact model of the Corsair PS, that the 8pin connect might be able to split.  Meant to split, not cut.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@hal2017,

The GTX 1070 draws 150W.  Your existing system had a 180W, so you only needed a 500W PSU.  Surprised you got the longer (6.3) depth PSU into that space without jamming the DVD drive cables.    @TheOldMan is correct, you will find a plug that splits apart, each part has identical wiring.   2 black and 2 yellow per section.   See here.  It is called the 4+4 pin +12 Volt power cable.  or see here

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for you help.

The card i mentioned is the 1070 not 1050. I think it needs significantly more power.

And i actually removed the dvd drive to make room for the psu and the graphics card.

Thanks much for the tip that some of the 8 in cables may come apart. I will check that. 

Thanks again

HP Recommended

@hal2017,

I did an edit for above. The GTX 1070 does draw 150W, the GTX 1050, as you said is less. (75W).

You could have used the Corsair CX600, and not have to move the DVD drive.  The CX500 would also have worked, but I do prefer some available power.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

HP 510-series computers : upgrade/service.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05108689

The challenge, with many HP mid-tower cases, is the LENGTH (mm) of the "replacement" power supply.  MANY of the high wattage (> 500 W) power supplies exceed 140 or 150 mm in length (original ATX PS standard).

That exceeds the "locking mechanisms" (within HP case) and compromises the installation of the Optical Drive (DVD).

gb

HP Recommended

Thanks - the power supply fit just barely, but the screw holes didn't line up. but regardless, i couldn't get the new card to seat due to the main connector to the POS being in the way. So i had no alternative but to get a new machine. Lesson learned: No more small form factors.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.