Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE h8-1192d
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After years of using this great PC and some upgrade on the hardware, now I want to upgrade it even more..

Last month I upgraded the PSU to 500W (I'm using Corsair CX500), and then I want to upgrade the Graphic Card to allow me to play latest game like Metal Gear or even Far Cry. Since I don't really know about the Graphic Card, could you give me some suggestion about the card that compatible with the motherboard/processor? My budget is around $200-$300. Thanks a lot..

Link to Pavilion HPE h8-1192d: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03077567

HDD I use are 2 SSD @256GB + 1 HDD @1TB and 2 x 4GB of RAM.

Listen, Ask, Take Notes, Read, and Pray
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You are going to have to do a lot of this yourself, simply because I or we don't have every PC available to pop open and measure and help everyone. That would be nice, but it is not going to happen.  We do have access to the available specifications on the HP and video card website. We also have the knowledge of what will and what won't work from experience in upgrading a building our own custom PCs.

Most Geforce 1060\1070\1080 cards will only have UEFI BIOS. Those won't work in your motherboards. The latest generation of AMD RX and upper-end R7 and R9 Radeon video cards will play any game on the market. The AMD Radeon cards tend to have legacy and dual BIOS type support. That is what you need.

I recommend that you use the following link to SapphireTechnology to look at the various PCIe x16 cards.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=5458920E-5359-4004-B041-DFA58823AB9E&lang=eng

You will have to get a card that has Legacy BIOS or Legacy BIOS\UEFI BIOS support. A card that has only UEFI BIOS will not work in your motherboard. It simply will not boot up or produce video output to your display.  See the following image.

It is important to know what will fit on your motherboard. It is time for you to measure the available space from the edge of the PCIe x16 slot. Most cards with triple fans are simply too long, so compare their lengths to what will fit in your PC.

See the following image of the motherboard that is inside your PC. That red line is what you need to measure in millimeters. Most video card manufacturers will provide the specifications only in metric.

Once you have found a card that seems like a good upgrade candidate, then take a look at the prices at NewEgg.com to get an idea of what the card is going for in the online market.  Simply put the card brand and model information in the search box and press the enter key.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Sapphi...

The 500W Corsair PSU should be more than enough. Look at the specifications of upgrade candidate video cards to ensure that it is. Notice how many 6 and\or 8-pin PCIe power connectors the candidate card requires. 

Happy upgrading.  🙂

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

You are going to have to do a lot of this yourself, simply because I or we don't have every PC available to pop open and measure and help everyone. That would be nice, but it is not going to happen.  We do have access to the available specifications on the HP and video card website. We also have the knowledge of what will and what won't work from experience in upgrading a building our own custom PCs.

Definetly fine.. Your informations and guidance are really helpfull for me.. 🙂

But I still don't really understand about the UEFI or Legacy BIOS. When I search about it, I found that I can check it from msinfo32. What I found is that my current BIOS mode is UEFI. Here is the screenshot:

BIOS Mode.JPG

If I want to upgrade the Graphic Card to Geforce 1060 or else, what kind of BIOS mode should be written on my msinfo32 ? Should it be both Legacy and UEFI, or just UEFI? Thanks in advance for your guidance..

Listen, Ask, Take Notes, Read, and Pray
HP Recommended

@microstef

BIOS level 7.13 doesn't exist on the HP Support Server for your PC .  Look here to see the latest BIOS posting. Also, Windows 10 was never certified for your PC. It seems that you are running against HP's supported configurations.  Nevertheless, running the PC in UEFI mode is one thing but needing the full UEFI standard 2.3.1 is a requirement for the newer graphics cards.  There are some keyboard tricks around to allow a modern UEFI graphics card to boot in some PCs but I can't say that those tricks would work for your PC, more or less allow the PC to boot normally.

BTW---if you search the forum, you will find numerous posts where users have tried modern graphics cards in the "chicago" motherboard and they failed to work.

@erico is giving you the right advice that modern graphcis cards will not work in your PC.  You might be able to find a manufacturer that could provide a non-UEFI based firmware flash for  a modern graphics card but I have yet to see that situation with the NVIDIA GTX 1xxx series graphics cards.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@microstef,

Both replied merit your careful reading. 

Your circa 2011 computer is WIN 7 based, with the older rev7 BIOS.  That can not be changed.

The other problem is your suggestion of Metal Gear as a primary gamer level.  Just which variation of Metal Gear?  The Metal Gear Rising: Vengeance is above your CPU (i7-2600) capabilities. See here.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Watch the following video. It explains enough of the differences between legacy BIOS and UEFI BIOS that should make it more clear to you.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.