Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6720TR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I upgraded my old 2011 prebuilt PC with Corsair VS 450 and Asus GTX 750 Ti. I installed my new GPU and whenever I power up my desktop it gets stuck on the HP boot logo and it beeps several times. I think the HP motherboards are not compatible with new GPUs OR the HP bios are totally incompatible. Are there any HP experts that can help me with this issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue you are facing is that the new video card requires a motherboard that has a UEFI BIOS.

Your 2011 HP motherboard has a legacy BIOS and it is not compatible with the newer video cards. Install a video card that is compatible with legacy BIOS and it will work in your HP PC.

Unfortunately, mixing the new and old BIOS technology just does not work. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is HP. you would face the same situation with just about any 2011 motherboard. Those were the days of legacy BIOS. 2012 and newer PCs and notebooks use UEFI BIOS.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The issue you are facing is that the new video card requires a motherboard that has a UEFI BIOS.

Your 2011 HP motherboard has a legacy BIOS and it is not compatible with the newer video cards. Install a video card that is compatible with legacy BIOS and it will work in your HP PC.

Unfortunately, mixing the new and old BIOS technology just does not work. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is HP. you would face the same situation with just about any 2011 motherboard. Those were the days of legacy BIOS. 2012 and newer PCs and notebooks use UEFI BIOS.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
So I have to buy a new motherboard. If so will my i5 2300 sandy bridge work with newer sockets such as LGA 1151?
HP Recommended

@ErkanMali wrote:
So I have to buy a new motherboard. If so will my i5 2300 sandy bridge work with newer sockets such as LGA 1151?

No. That is a bit of a strange question.

The Intel Core i5 2300 will only work in a motherboard that has the very same socket type that it was designed for.

A CPU or APU will always have the socket that it was manufactured with. It can only physically fit into the socket type that it was designed for. 

HP Recommended

I would question your choice of the GTX 750ti.  What was your selection based upon?  Performance-wise, the GTX 660 is far superior, but needs more wattage.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
750 is much more efficient and newer. Anyways I can't do anything with this silly PC. I have made the biggest mistake of my life buying an HP prebuilt PC. Better throw it in a trash and buy a custom PC.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.