Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix 810 470na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,
Bit of a strange issue. I recently replaced my graphics card. I used to have a GTX 770 and replaced it with a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6Gb Windforce OC. All graphics drivers were uninstalled and then updated to the latest versions, and it works as per normal, and the PC recognises theGPU. But I have noticed something unexpected. From a cold boot, the monitor says "no signal" and goes into standby until the windows log-on screen appears. From then on all is ok. But before the card was replaced, the monitor used to stay active and display the Hewlett Packard (HP) blue splash logo, with the white dots going round in a circle, before going on to the windows screen. If the PC is merely restarted, then the logo does appear prior to the log-on screen. No changes have been made in BIOS apart from the integrated graphics enable/disable routine which I was advised to do, and nothing changes. I can still access BIOS normally from a cold or warm boot by pressing F10. Anybody know why this is the case with the splash screen not appearing?
The monitor is an AOC i2369Vm. The PC is a HP Envy Phoenix 810-470na. Details: i7 4790, 128Gb SSD for the operating system, 16GB RAM, 2Tb hard drive. It came with Windows 8.1, but I upgraded to Windows 10 in May of this year, which went smooth as silk with no issues. Also, it came with the GeForce GTX 770 actually pre-installed, with drivers being updated regularly. I have actually re-installed the GTX 770 it came with and all is normal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Try enter BIOS then in Security disable Secure BOOt and enable Legacy BOOt.

Save changes and exit. Enter four digit confirmation at reboot to confirm the change.

HP has custom keys installed in Secure boot for the GTX 770. 

Leagacy mode will allow the new graphics to run.

Grzy

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @andyp3001,

Welcome to HP Forums and thanks for the post. 

I see you are not getting the HP logo on startup, but are able to access BIOS. I will be glad to help. 

Recommend you to update all the drivers for your computer using HP Support Assistant. Please do install the BIOS update for your computer if it is not updated. 

Request you to refer to this article, under the Boot Tab settings in MSCONFIG you have options to get the logo and to change the timeout duration for a startup.

Though the article says Windows 7, the procedure is the same for Windows 10. 

This should resolve your concern.

Please do let me know if the helped or if you need any further assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. I can indeed get to msconfig, but cannot find the part where you enable/disable the logo.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, does the boot tab in MSConfig have the same settings as shown in the article? If so, recommend you to update BIOS and check. 

Even after the BIOS update, if the issue persists, recommend you to check the graphics card software settings. 

Keep tapping ESC on startup, if the computer boots the startup menu, you can ignore the HP logo not coming up.

Have you changed the motherboard on your computer?

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Try enter BIOS then in Security disable Secure BOOt and enable Legacy BOOt.

Save changes and exit. Enter four digit confirmation at reboot to confirm the change.

HP has custom keys installed in Secure boot for the GTX 770. 

Leagacy mode will allow the new graphics to run.

Grzy

HP Recommended

That was the solution! I have no idea how this works, but that has sorted it. All is now as before. I know it was only a minor thing (the HP logo not appearing), but it made me think that something (BIOS?) had been affected by the new card, resulting in possible problems later down the line. |f you don't mind me asking, please describe the "custom keys installed in secure boot" regarding the pre-installed GTX 770 and how it affects the PC . And will the change to booting in legacy mode affect my PC in the future, or is it OK? Thanks again. I am really pleased with his result.

HP Recommended

Hello

Win 8 and Win 10 have secure boot option. This is a security measure to stop unsigned code from running at boot.

HP installs a set of security keys and enables Secure Boot on Win 8 or 10 systems. The GTX 770 is included in the keys installed by HP.

Running in Legacy mode lessens Boot Security. But it is not something to worry about unless to practice unsafe computing habit.

You can, if you want to, create your own set of security keys in BIOS.

First remove HP keys. Then create a new set with the new graphics card installed. Then enable Secure Boot. It will now boot with the new card and you have Secure Boot again.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.