Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I was pleased to receive my H8-1485EA computer this week!

I entered the BIOS setup by (pressing F10) to enable booting from a CD type device. I changed the boot order so that my SATA DVD drive was at the top of the list. When I attemted to boot from a CD, I received a message starting that boot security protection was enabled and was preventing me from booting from the CD. I entered the BIOS again and disabled Boot security (by entering a code) and booted from the CD. Unfortunately the disk i was booting from stopped responding, so I ejected it.

A while later, I decided to re-enable the boot security in the BIOS. I successfully did this, however, my SATA DVD drive has now disappeared from my boot device list. It is still detected by the BIOS and appears in Windows Device Manager. It is also missing from the Boot list when I press F9 at startup.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This may not apply to your case but here goes:  I just about went crazy looking for the option (HP Envy Phoenix) in the UEFI BIOS to boot from my Blueray disk. I tried to set the Blueray disk  to boot first in the boot order but I couldn't find it listed in the BIOS. (My computer is 2 days old; direct from the factory. Reads Blueray disk under the OS just fine). Turned out I had to insert a disk in the Blueray to energize it, then restart the computer, then go to the BIOS and ---- magically --- the BIOS now showed my Blueray and I was able to  boot from it.  (In the past I configured all my computer hardware statically in the BIOS and it al showed up there and that was it. I had never seen a *new* hardware option appear in the BIOS that wasn't there before. That is until I encountered the Phoenix BIOS)

HardAsNails

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

try to press ESC at the beginning when u started to boot ur pc..rape that key i mean tap it many times..xD

HP Recommended

Reset the BIOS to it's default settings. Then reboot and check it.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hello HafizulHazmiey and thank you for your advice. I pressed the esc key and I descovered a lot of options, unfortunately, I still havent got the option to boot from  CD/DVD. I did see an option for the UEFI application, which I suspect might be an option, but I am reluctant to use it in case i make my OS un-usable! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello wb2001!

I have tried resetting the BIOS to defaults, however it did not do the trick. I suspect it is something to do with UEFI as the DVD was originally in this boot list.

Thanks for your advice.

HP Recommended

This may not apply to your case but here goes:  I just about went crazy looking for the option (HP Envy Phoenix) in the UEFI BIOS to boot from my Blueray disk. I tried to set the Blueray disk  to boot first in the boot order but I couldn't find it listed in the BIOS. (My computer is 2 days old; direct from the factory. Reads Blueray disk under the OS just fine). Turned out I had to insert a disk in the Blueray to energize it, then restart the computer, then go to the BIOS and ---- magically --- the BIOS now showed my Blueray and I was able to  boot from it.  (In the past I configured all my computer hardware statically in the BIOS and it al showed up there and that was it. I had never seen a *new* hardware option appear in the BIOS that wasn't there before. That is until I encountered the Phoenix BIOS)

HardAsNails

HP Recommended
easy method is by using bootable flashdrive, if ure in need of clean OS installation just google for "wintoflash" the easiest way to format ur pc...and its faster than cd/dvd format trust me..:3
HP Recommended

Thanks to both HardAsNails and HafizulHazmiey.

HardAsNails - Rebooting with a disc in the drive made the DVD re-appear as a bootable device, many thanks for that. I have an AMI BIOS but the principle was the same.

HafizulHazmiey - I will create a USB boot drive also, thanks for your help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.