Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My speakers are Boston BA 635 which has a large center box and two small [l & r] speakers. In the back of the large box there is the power cord, red & white ports which are labeled "out to speakers" and a purple one labeled "input".  I have the like colored cords plugged into each one. From the r speaker that is a green cord which I have plugged into the green port in the back of my computer.  I can't seem to get to your diagram from where I am to see how you have that port labeled.  My layout is a bit different in that I have three over three but am sure that is not important. Did I tell you that I bought new speakers to test if the speakers were the problem but they wouldn't work either.  I returned them.

What I find so frustrating is that everything checks out fine. The volume control is working. I practically live at Device Manager and am told that my drivers are up-to-date. When I run troubleshooting, it reports no problems. I feel like I am one click away from having it work but I don't know what or where to click.

Thanks again for hanging with me.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @bargrid

I can understand your frustrations.  I have been in your position many times in my 30+ years of using and working on computers.  In fact, I am here helping you because of help that I received here when I was at the point of throwing my new HP computer out the door.:smileytongue:

Here is the manual for the speakers:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000010448.pdf

On Page 3 it shows how to connect them.  Since you only have one plug, I suggest plugging it into everyone of the ports on the back of your computer.  Keep the volume down so if there is a loud noise when plugged into a wrong port, it won't scare you or blow the speakers.  As I said, I have two plugs for my speakers.  I had to do exactly that when I connected them to my new HP loaner computer.  Let me know what happens.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I did laugh out loud when I read about your wanting to throw your new computer out the door. I have certainly shared those sentiments. I was pleased to see that I did have the speakers wired correctly. Where you got the gold star was in telling me to try the different ports - to heck with the color. It had crossed my mind to do that but hadn't dared. Actually it took two times to get it going. The green port was the home one so I plugged into red and got static - the very first sound I had heard since Win 10. I pulled up a video and no sound with it. I then went through the other ports and was getting static on each and when I got back to the green designated port the second time - voila, I had sound.  Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now I need to figure out how to give you kudos in the forum.

Are you game to move on to my next problem or are you worn out with me?  Don't know whether or not I mentioned this before but my #2 monitor is green.  It will periodically self-correct and then there will be like a hiccup and it will go green again. I have been in device manager and am told that it is working properly. In reading on the various forums, it is suggested that it may be a faulty monitor but I question why it got "faulty" just when I changed to Win 10.  I need to try another monitor but haven't yet had the energy to carry it from the basement to the second floor. Do you have any suggestions while I am dilly-dallying around?

HP Recommended

You are very very welcome, @bargrid.  I am glad that we got sound. :OpenSmile:

Now, for the green monitor.  This is normally caused by a failed monitor, video card or bad driver.  Since it began at the same time as a upgrade to Win 10, you are correct to be suspicious.  While you are in the Device Manager, you should go to Monitors / click on it and right click on the second monitor if shown / select Update Driver Software / Search automatically for updated driver software.  If there is a new driver it will be found and installed.  Let me know what happens.

HP Recommended

I did as directed and found that the monitor is listed as Generic: Non - PnP. The location is given as on  NVDIA GeForce GT 610. The message was that the device is working properly. Now this was interesting  ---  driver date 6/21/2006. Another message that the driver software is up to date. I have unplugged and reseated the power plug but am guessing I should do the same with whatever the other plug is. Just did it to no effect.  The monitor is an Impression TLSP Model HL710S.  It may have come with a computer than I had a local company build for me many eons ago. Looks like it's about time to try a different monitor.

HP Recommended

The monitor for my HP X2 1012 G1 shows as a Generic PNP Monitor, also.  It has the latest Win 10 driver.  The 2006 driver is the original Win 7 driver, I believe.

Eons can cause computer peripherals problems.  It sound like you may have a failing monitor.  I suggest trying another monitor to assure that it is not the video connection.  I would appreciate hearing the outcome.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

I caught up on my yard work and started back on my computer problems. I had been told to unplug and replug my 2nd monitor connections which I did to no avail.  This morning I decided to relabel all my cords since so many of the labels had fallen off.  This was not an easy task as the table on which my devices are sitting has a divider underneath which blocks the view. Much of the time I was flat of my back on the floor. The retagging was the breakthrough in that I saw that I had unplugged the wrong monitor at the computer connection. Unplugged and replugged the correct connection and now I have the correct color on the 2nd monitor. Since it had self-corrected before, I have given it some time and it has held so I think that problem is no more.

Since I have my sound back, the only thing left to bug me is the computer not waking up from Hibernate without a hard turnoff.  In reading about this, it was suggested that Firefox might be the problem but I  turned it off the last time I put it in Hibernate and the issue still persists. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you so very much for all your help which has caused an old woman to have new spring in her step.

HP Recommended

@bargrid, you are very welcome!  Getting down on the floor and up again is not easy at any age, but the older that I get the harder that it gets. :TongueOut:  I am glad that you have some spring back in your step.  This is why I am here -- to remove frustrations.

As for the Hibernation problem, you may want to go into the settings and turn it off and reboot.  Then, go back into settings and turn it on again.  Sometimes a glitch will occur that causes this problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.